PLEASE HELP!! Air Lock in Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I emptied the water tank in order to change a washer on the bathroom tap. After doing this I allowed the water tank to refill but the toilet in the bathroom no longer refills with water.

All the taps work just fine but the toilet I now have to fill manually from a bucket. I'm guessing it's an air lock in the pipe from the toilet to the water tank as it only happened after I emptied the tank.

I know this would be quite a simple job but does anyone have any ideas as to how I can release this air lock. I had tried fitting a hose from the bathroom tap to the to the outlet pipe in the water tank in order to "flush" through with water to clear the air but as the water tank is raised above the ceiling I can't get enough pressure to generate the water up through the hose into the tank.

I am pretty desperate so if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

FYI the water tank has a pipe that runs down the wall into the toilet cistern.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I tried to connect the hose to the sink tap in the bathroom but only the tap outlett in the basin. I don't have any plumbing skills so had a problem with this because also couldnt connect the hose tightly to the tap therefore water spilling out and not enough pressure mounting.

Is there a way of attaching the hose to the tap properly or via a diffferent means or is there an attachment one can get. My taps are quite old and not a standard shape.

p.s whats a mains feed tap? Sorry for my naivety

mains feed is from the main water supply not a tank.
you need mains pressure to blow the air lock out of gravity pressure to your toilet.

Sponsored Links
It may not be an airlock. If it is gravity fed it is almost certainly rubbish sucked into the pipe and now blocking the float valve inlet. Strip off the float valve dissasemble and clean it. Bet it works after. Infortunately, unless you have an iso valve fitted you will have to drain down the tank again.....

Do you mean the float inlet valve in the toilet? So if I take that out and clean it, it should be ok?

Thanks

Yes.......depending on type they work with small openings and pressure differentials to push a diaphragm to close off. These small openings block. Drain, remove and strip off (take a phone pic of parts as u strip so you can reassemble) and clean. Also check cw pipe to make sure no crud in that either.

For arguments sake lets say it is an airlock before I go home and try the valve inlet disassembling.

I read an article somewhere suggesting that one puts a hose into the water outlet of the tank to the toilet, flush the toilet and blow the air from the hose down the pipe to clear the lock.

Does anyone know if this is likely to work cos if not I will cross thta one off. It may only work with taps though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back