Please help - boiler running but rads not warming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 2 40PF, it runs on a pressurised system and the red and black gauges are both up at around one which I think is ok. The boiler is definately igniting and the lights pilot on, fan on, boiler on and burner on are all lit up orange. I have been round and checked for air but nothing to speak of. I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions, don't want to be cold over Christmas - any suggestions much appreciated. Many thanks :(

I'm pretty sure that the hot water isn't working either... I only realised yesterday afternoon as was ok the day before....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ACL Lifestyle mid position valve which is located next to the hot water tank? Excuse my ignorance if I got the wrong thing but it's just i'm a woman without much knowledge of plumbing things. Know the basics but i'm a bit stuck with this... :D None of the pipes coming out of the valve are warm???? Neither are the pipes out of the top of the boiler either really...

If the boiler is running it should be producing hot water. If the pump is goosed then this water will not get away from the boiler very quickly, so the boiler will shut down pretty rapidly after firing. Switch it all on, make sure room thermostat is calling for heat and let us know what the boiler does please.

I don't have any room stats. I have tried increasing the pressure to 1.5 and bleeding again and then increasing it back up after but nothing. I am getting no air from the rads at all, only water straight away.

If the boiler is running it should be producing hot water. If the pump is goosed then this water will not get away from the boiler very quickly, so the boiler will shut down pretty rapidly after firing. Switch it all on, make sure room thermostat is calling for heat and let us know what the boiler does please.

I have also not encountered any overheats on the boiler at all so would this seem to suggest the pump is ok?

Sounds like system is full of water, so thats not likely to be the issue. Right, go to the mid position valve, check the pipes. If boiler is running, and pump working then the heat output from the boiler has to be going somewhere.

There is one pipe coming from the cylinder into the valve, one out of the back of the valve and one from the side. None of them feel warm tho?

There is W M H on the bottom with a little black switcher. It is currently on M. Sure it was on H earlier on. There is a little black switch on the side which I flicked and it it went to H but then straight back to M if that means anything at all?

W is water, M is manual, H is heating, refers to the position of the valve. M is used for filling the system, once in operation the valve should move automatically according to system demand. The flow from the boiler, via the pump should enter on the back/bottom of the valve, there is flows out one or both sides according to requirements. Unsure as to how it works without a roomstat, as this would supply to call for the valve to open to heating and allow the water around the rads.

I would think if the valve has gone to manual then both CH and HW are calling for heat. However if the pipes are cold then either the boiler or pump are not working. You said earlier that neither of the pipes from the boiler were hot, if this is the case then your boiler isnt firing for whatever reason.

The boiler is ignited tho (I can see the flame inside) and sounds like it is working totally fine...

If its working, then it will be producing hot water, this has to go somewhere.... Otherwise if the water remains in the boiler, the boiler stat will switch off the heat pretty quickly!

Check the pipes again coming from the top of the boiler, should be a pair of 22mm, flow and return. Either of these hot when boiler is firing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back