Please help - emulsion paint blowing off walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help. Last summer I decided to remove wall paper in my bedroom as i want to go back to painted plaster walls. I washed walls to remove paste. Gave 2 coats of mist coats then painted Dulux emulsion (2 coats). Now the paint has started to blow off the walls in areas. It appears to bubble up first then flake off in quite large areas. I have an old house - the walls are stone and about 2ft thick! This only appears (so far) to be happening on external cold walls. I have heard of breathable paint - what does this do and where would i buy it if needed? Can someone please advise - I am at my wits end. All my hard work ruined. It took me weeks to do. Please dont tell me to put wall paper back - i really dont want to. Please advise me.

Sponsored Links
You say 'bubble up and then flake off'. Where exactly on the walls does this appear - high up, low down, all over? Also, does the bubbling appear powdery or feel crunchy. If so, it could be salts escaping the wall due to some form of moisture issue.
It's tempting to say that maybe you didn't remove all of the paste properly, but this usually bubbles up and becomes noticeable almost immediately.
Hopefully you don't have damp, or water ingress issue, but it's difficult to say what the problem could be without seeing the damage. Is there any chance you could post a pic or two of it?

I wonder as this seems to be a very old house what the surface was like you painted over.

Did it consist of areas of bare plaster or distemper, etc, etc?

The comment about salts sounds more than likely too.

Sponsored Links
Sorry i have taken so long to reply but still got problem - thanks for replies though.
. Ok well i do have a problem with condensation but leave windows as open for as long as possible. Its mostly happening in the middle of the wall. The house was replastered some 25 years ago but this is only happening in certain areas. There does seem to be like a powdery effect after paint has come off. I filled some dents etc with polyfilla but i gave this a good sanding and 2 coats of mist paint along with the rest of the walls? I def cleaned all the paste off :) i will try to take some pics to post up. Any advice on what to do next? Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back