Please help, experience of planning and what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My wife and I have just bought a house and have some work we'd like to do to bring it up to scratch, and I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to go about things here.

The house is in a Town Preservation Area in Scotland. I'm led to believe this is similar to a Conservation Area, though not quite as strict.

We need to fix the gutters as they're corroded and blocked. Repar some roof tiles that are cracked/slipped. Replace the garage roof. Re-render the house in a lighter tone and add some stone cladding.

Now, as far as I can tell, the tile repairs and garage roof replace wouldn't need planning permissioin if they're like for like. The gutters will need it if we change to plastic pipes, and the rendering will need it.

BUT,

Are these the types of improvements that won't get turned down? Is it worth the risk in just doing them right away and applying for retrospective permission afterwards? The PP dept didn't seem to give me a straight answer and just advised I apply for PP. The thing is I'd like the same contractor to do all of this work before we move in as it'll be cheaper and less upheaval.

Can anyone give their thoughts if they've any experience in this at all please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I doubt it would be turned down but whether it's wise to crack on without applying is impossible to say. The reaction from the local authority could be anywhere from nothing at all to a full flight delegation of grey haired busybodies demanding blood. It's usually easier to judge these things on a local level - maybe ask your builder what he thinks?

I know very little about Scottish planning practice, but I am aware stone cladding is one of the things they have a bit of a bugbear about, so personally I'd be reluctant to proceed without getting a bit of a steer from the local authority. That said, an hour with a duty planning officer (assuming they have such a thing) should give you a reasonable view of what might be allowed. Then it's up to you whether you wish to apply retrospectively.

Sponsored Links
We've tried them on the phone and just been told they can't advise if the work needs planning. Very frustrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back