please help I have cleaned..jetwashed an asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old garage roof with corrugated roof panels...I always thought asbestos is hharmful if it is broken?

I have firstly taken out all the old moss with a scraper...then jetwashed it.I then couple if days later sealed it with pva and painted it with water proof quality paint.

Yes it looks new but talking to a mate at the pub when I mentioned it to him what a fantastic job I had done he looked at me in a strangevway and said to bevcarfull.

I have now done hours of research but its too late. I can not sleep and suffer anxiety. I believe I don't have long to live.to be honest I can not stop crying.please help me with any advises.thankyou

Sponsored Links
Just stop worrying. Asbestos cement corrugated roof sheets are not the very harmful asbestos. I used to fit those roofs in the late 1950's and cut the sheets with power saws- no mask, no gloves, just did the job. I am now turned 70 and barely a cough. Your mate at the pub is winding you up.

Sponsored Links
Just stop worrying. Asbestos cement corrugated roof sheets are not the very harmful asbestos. I used to fit those roofs in the late 1950's and cut the sheets with power saws- no mask, no gloves, just did the job. I am now turned 70 and barely a cough. Your mate at the pub is winding you up.

What you have said just now has really helped me....god bless. god bless ...thankyou

by the way, and quite off-topic, you should never put PVA glue on any surface which you hope one day to paint.

as it is water-soluble, it will soften in wet weather. The paint will bubble and peel.

by the way, and quite off-topic, you should never put PVA glue on any surface which you hope one day to paint.

as it is water-soluble, it will soften in wet weather. The paint will bubble and peel.

Ok. I used pva as I thought it would have sealed all the asbestos ....what should I have done buddy?

Honestly you are worrying yourself silly over nothing.
Many of us were cutting, drilling, screwing into it the stuff for years and most of us are still here. We knew no better because we didn't have the internet or elf n safety.

I wouldn't be too concerned out having used pva either. If it works, great. If not, it's outside on your garage roof. Just don't put yourself through the ordeal of doing it again.

So put away your tissues and get some sleep.

Many of us were cutting, drilling, screwing into it the stuff for years and most of us are still here. We knew no better because we didn't have the internet or elf n safety.

I wouldn't be too concerned out having used pva either. If it works, great. If not, it's outside on your garage roof. Just don't put yourself through the ordeal of doing it again.

Thankyou mate....appreciate it...have a good one :)

Hello again thank you foryour replies..I really do appreciate your comments as phsycollogically this has really helped..

I would kindly like to ask you as I did use a power jetwash debris of this roof went everywherein the garden....paranoid as I am I have told the kids not to play until I have gone around and cleaned up...I'm I being to hasty doing this?

Also because this garageroof is so close to the house iv stopped opening the windows at theback of the house...

Listen, a few months ago we stripped the asbestos cement roof from a cottage my daughter and her boyfriend bought in Holbeach. That roof covered an area of at least 50sqm. larger area than on your garage?

We did spray the roof with pva before strating to remove the sheets but they were so old they simply fell apart, so some of the fibres must have escaped. We cleaned up as best we could. Did we get it all, no, that would have been impossible. Am I or any of my family worried about that? no, why? because the risk/chance of ANYONE getting asbestosis and mesothelioma is low that it simply isn't worth worrying about.

The local authority building control and environmental health were involved. They were so concerned that they asked us to bag the sheets once we'd finished and take the bags to the local tip.

When we were kids we used to fish the cape boards and panels lake shown in this link. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl It was a lot larger back then but over the years it was filled in with asbestos waste from the factory you can see.

There was asbestos dust blowing allover the area back then. The river colne used to run white much of the time. Workers at the factory(we used to see them covered in it from head to toe) and some of their family members (usually wives from washing clothes) died from asbestos related disease.

I don't know if any of the people in the neighbouring businesses or houses died, but none of my friends have from our limited exposure. And remember, I've worked with it as well.

Your exposure has been so small I doubt it could be measured. So stop worrying.

Listen, a few months ago we stripped the asbestos cement roof from a cottage my daughter and her boyfriend bought in Holbeach. That roof covered an area of at least 50sqm. larger area than on your garage?

We did spray the roof with pva before strating to remove the sheets but they were so old they simply fell apart, so some of the fibres must have escaped. We cleaned up as best we could. Did we get it all, no, that would have been impossible. Am I or any of my family worried about that? no, why? because the risk/chance of ANYONE getting asbestosis and mesothelioma is low that it simply isn't worth worrying about.

The local authority building control and environmental health were involved. They were so concerned that they asked us to bag the sheets once we'd finished and take the bags to the local tip.

When we were kids we used to fish the cape boards and panels lake shown in this link. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl It was a lot larger back then but over the years it was filled in with asbestos waste from the factory you can see.

There was asbestos dust blowing allover the area back then. The river colne used to run white much of the time. Workers at the factory(we used to see them covered in it from head to toe) and some of their family members (usually wives from washing clothes) died from asbestos related disease.

I don't know if any of the people in the neighbouring businesses or houses died, but none of my friends have from our limited exposure. And remember, I've worked with it as well.

Your exposure has been so small I doubt it could be measured. So stop worrying.

Thank u pal

Hello all.

I just want some reassurance aswell. I cleared moss and leaves off a corregated asbestos roof a few years ago and didn't wear any mask. Please can you put my mind at rest.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back