Please help me change this light bulb!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

Newbie here!

I am totally stumped about how to change this

I have detached the spotlight from the ceiling. The bulb won't come out the top where the bracket is holding it in place and I can't turn the spotlight at the bottom for it to come out that end either. The number on the spotlight is e12641.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Attachments

• 9545EDA2-3A4B-406C-B029-4F188B360303.jpg
    9545EDA2-3A4B-406C-B029-4F188B360303.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 350
  • E21CC669-847B-4BE5-8FC6-A3E993C808AE.jpg
    E21CC669-847B-4BE5-8FC6-A3E993C808AE.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 336
Sponsored Links
I might be wrong but I think you just need to slide this bit off and then push the bulb out

InkedE21CC669-847B-4BE5-8FC6-A3E993C808AE_LI.jpg

Sorry, having looked at the first image again, it looks like you need to twist the inner part of the metal as well.

It looks like an IP ("water proof") fitting from a bathroom.

The bulb type is known as GU10. If you want, you can replace the bulb with a LED. It will be a tad more expensive but should last much longer than a halogen.

Sponsored Links
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I missed the bit about you being a newbie. Even if my advice is pants, rest assured that someone far more knowledgeable will be along at some point.

I think the chrome inner ring unscrews and bulb is removed / fitted from below. The inner part at the top is just centralising the bulb.

When you do get the bulb out, check that you can get the light fitting back together (it's come apart) before spending any money on a new bulb.

You should never need to have to completely remove a downlight from a ceiling. If the reason is to replace just the lamp.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's reply.

So I couldn't work it out and went to a local diy shop. The answer is that you have to unscrew the bolt at each side of the fitting pic 1 and then the inner metal piece comes out pic 2. Not exactly the easiest way to change a lightbulb!

Attachments

• IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 286
Not exactly the easiest way to change a lightbulb!

replace the bulb with a LED. It will be a tad more expensive but should last much longer than a halogen.

Replace all of them, as LEDs will look different. Make sure they will fit - some LED replacements are a bit longer.

Are the lights on a dimmer?

Replace all of them, as LEDs will look different.

Good points.

I was (obliquely) suggesting that the OP eventually replace all of them as each halogen dies.

Whilst dimmable LEDs exist, yes, some dimmer switches wont dim the lights if the total wattage is too low.

Replace all of them, as LEDs will look different. Make sure they will fit - some LED replacements are a bit longer.

No they're not a dimmer just regular light switch.

I've managed to change them all I'm glad to say. Definitely going to change the fittings in with bathroom refurb later this year as they really were a pain to change.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!

No they're not a dimmer just regular light switch.

I've managed to change them all I'm glad to say. Definitely going to change the fittings in with bathroom refurb later this year as they really were a pain to change.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!

Well done.

Might be useful for anyone else that stumbles across this post in the future if you explain how you did it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back