Please help me change a light bulb! No....really.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
20150624_143814.jpg
20150624_142350.jpg

I hope someone can help me with what seems to be a simple problem but is baffling me!

I have 2 spotlights in my bathroom, above the mirror. They are GU10 bulbs which I'm used to changing the usual way; however these ones have to be changed from the access above the bathroom cupboard - see pictures, one with bulb connected, the second I have disconnected the bulb but I cannot figure out how to get it out of the contraption it's in! Has anyone ever come across this before?

It's like 2 spring-clips on each side then a metal lever thing in the middle which lifts up and down but I just can't seem to get the bulb out and don't want to force it..

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Caz

Sponsored Links
You change the lamp from the bathroom, not up in the ceiling!.

Would need to see a picture of the fitting (from the room). The fitting is usually in two bits. The outer part (this stays in the ceiling) and an inner retaining bezel that is held in place with a couple of sprung ball bearings. you should be able to pull it apart with your fingernail, or a small screwdriver if you dont want to chip the varnish.

does that clip that goes over the lamp not just prise off on one side and then the other?

That fitting seems to have seen better days, has something melted onto the lamp holder?

Hi

The pics I posted above aren't taken from the ceiling, they're from above the cupboard that the lamps are fixed into. I have these spotlights in my house but they have a round wire that goes around them that you can ping out with your fingernail then take the bulb out from below, but these ones don't seem to have that. Here is a pic from below:
20150624_142407.jpg

Sponsored Links
does that clip that goes over the lamp not just prise off on one side and then the other?

NO

Downlights are designed so that you never, ever have to go up in the loft, or lift floorboards to change a bulb!
What a ridiculous concept - the lamp in my kitchen downlight has blown and I'll have to rip up the tiled floor in the bathroom above to change it?
They are easy to do, once you understand how its done.

The bezel should come of from below, normally a quarter twist anti-clockwise or prising using a flat head screwdriver, the lamp should then drop. The first fitting pictured seems to display heat damage, if so needs replacing and then preventing.

NO

Downlights are designed so that you never, ever have to go up in the loft, or lift floorboards to change a bulb!
What a ridiculous concept - the lamp in my kitchen downlight has blown and I'll have to rip up the tiled floor in the bathroom above to change it?
They are easy to do, once you understand how its done.

Clearly that would apply to those that are installed in a ceiling. She did say in the first post this was a cupboard

I'm not saying they don't change from below, but just pointing out the difference

They are standard downlights that can go in a ceiling. Its just that, here, they are in the top of a recessed cupboard.
Its the same principle, you change the lamp from below, end of.

Rubbish :)
Hard to tell if the glass is seated in the top recess or under it.
I have seen some where you do have to carefully take the fitting out.
Then You need to be a bit heavy handed to remove the lamp , by sliding the lamp up and out as you turn the lamp at sort of 45 degrees, the metals springy and will give enough.
To fit is the opposite and the springy bit keeps tension on to the lamp pushing against the body.
the body is sometimes a one peice moulding

Last edited:

Simply not true I have personally seen some, they werea pain as the clips damaged the ceiling.
Though they are rare I admit

While your here Ban can you blow up the label to get make model if poss please

Which is broken - your Ctrl key or your + one?

You did tell me how to do it years ago but I forgot, so You would get a THANKS for that, but wheres thanks and like button gone now
Still cant read it though HALOLITE possibly
Oh the thanks like is hidden till you hover it, seems you cant have both though :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back