please help me CORGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it is blatantly illegal; no 2 ways about it. why do some of your corgis dis agree.
how come you say 2k for the job yet my boiler was fitted by my self employed plumber, before he went off to footy, for 300 quid..

your opinions are not fact, now that, is a fact!

Sponsored Links
Without stepping on toes i will answer briefly.

Some of what has been said IMO is a little OTT. Sure everyone likes to feel like they have achieved something when becoming a professional and why not. On the other hand there's no point kidding yourself it is beyond anybody else's capability.

The difference with gas to most other trade's is law and regulation (of which most is not exactly black and white which doesn't help the situation)

From experience DIY plumbing is mostly incorrect and certainly not of a high standard, although some pro's aren't much better whilst some DIY is excellent.

Back to the original post. The problem seem's to be the money side of things, not the fact he's done the plumbing himself. To a heating engineer walking into a DIY install (heating circuit) immediately rings the alarm bells. Also 4 hours to fit the boiler & flue, run the gas, wire into the spur, fill up, run and commission, drain down, flush PLUS any problems that may be encountered from the heating circuit?

6 hours minimum sounds more probable, which will equate to a full day to most self employed tradesmen (not just plumbers)

Without stepping on toes i will answer briefly.

Some of what has been said IMO is a little OTT. Sure everyone likes to feel like they have achieved something when becoming a professional and why not. On the other hand there's no point kidding yourself it is beyond anybody else's capability.

The difference with gas to most other trade's is law and regulation (of which most is not exactly black and white which doesn't help the situation)

From experience DIY plumbing is mostly incorrect and certainly not of a high standard, although some pro's aren't much better whilst some DIY is excellent.

Back to the original post. The problem seem's to be the money side of things, not the fact he's done the plumbing himself. To a heating engineer walking into a DIY install (heating circuit) immediately rings the alarm bells. Also 4 hours to fit the boiler & flue, run the gas, wire into the spur, fill up, run and commission, drain down, flush PLUS any problems that may be encountered from the heating circuit?

6 hours minimum sounds more probable, which will equate to a full day to most self employed tradesmen (not just plumbers)

thats how i see it..
my own stuff has always been done under guidance so i avoid the pitfalls you have mentioned.

like i have said, 90% stuff is easy but its the last 10% which is hard to do and where you earn your money.

think about it, most domestic electrical is moving furniture and finding a route for cables..
if you can see that, then you can maybe see what i mean.

all that said, if happy matey comes on and says he cant pay 400 quid. then he certainly wont be able to pay £2000 so the jobs gone for most.

this is a diy forum, he was entitled to ask. i would have a tenner that he will be able to find someone.

(no offence sam)

if it is blatantly illegal; no 2 ways about it. why do some of your corgis dis agree.
how come you say 2k for the job yet my boiler was fitted by my self employed plumber, before he went off to footy, for 300 quid..

your opinions are not fact, now that, is a fact!

It is not so much my opinion that is a fact, it is technical bulletin 214 that spells it out.

It clearly states: ANY work on a gas boiler; that includes gluing it to the wall

It also states that signing off work that is NOT done by a corgi registered installer is not acceptable and that the RGI, AND the unregistered installer (mr cheap in this case) can be prosecuted.

Now that is a fact

Sponsored Links
i like it how all the muppets who ant a clue on installing, repairing or even general operation of a appliance let alone all the regulations can comment on how easy the job is :rolleyes:

read the thread you d*****d
i have done the work
ive had it passed
i have plumber friends who i have worked on site with for years.

funny, that im a muppet yet i can do all that!

is it something in the water in yorkshire that brings out all the fools..

read the thread....
you don't know the regulations along with most of the corgis, and its your fooking job..

it is funny because i never referred to you as the muppet but now you mention it i think ya bang on, you are! and i have read the entire thread you fookin ******!

if its so easy why did ya have to get a friend to diagnose the manufacturing fault? stick with fitting the easy stuff like the "condensing bucket" :LOL:

Yep he was entitled to ask and no wrong doings. The problem was that he was telling people what he was going to pay even though the quotes said otherwise. Now i can't see the job so don;t know what is required to complete. Also living down here in Devon the labour price will be higher.

If he had invited a plumber around for a quote and as he walked through the door told him 'i'll pay £240 for you to fit this boiler, OK?' I think he would have got a similar response in person!

There has been much discussion about why it is unlikely he will get it installed for that price which IMO is fair, along with a lot of banter!

Time will tell if he is asking for to much for to little, unfortunately i doubt we would ever find out, i suspect not though unless it is cash in hand saturday stuff ;)

Sam

[
It is not so much my opinion that is a fact, it is technical bulletin 214 that spells it out.

It clearly states: ANY work on a gas boiler; that includes gluing it to the wall

Now that is a fact

I'm no expert on plumbing, but shouldn't screws be used rather than glue?

its just so hard to deal with people like you!
i included lead burning because its closest to a craft skill that plumbers do!
How would you know? you're not a plumber. For that matter, what's this differentiation you keep making between 'craft skills' and other skills all about?
i mentioned worcesters top boy because you were gobbing how hard things were!!! geddit now?
I will if you can show me where I was gobbing about how hard things were. I'll also send 20 quid to your chosen charity, in fact make that 200 quid cos you won't find it, geddit . You're fond of telling others to 'read the thread', try it yourself before you throw you're name calling and accusations around. idiot.

How to solve this problem.

Mr Happy wants a boiler fitted/connected for £400 or less.
Mr AtoZ has a mate who did his job for £300. (mates rates)
Surrey & Hampshire are not miles apart. So if Mr AtoZ could introduce his mate to Mr Happy, job done, if it all goes pete tong. Mr Happy and Mr AtoZ can argue it out between themselves.

bulb.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mr Happy, can you post a few photos of the pipework you have installed where you propose the boiler is going to be hung on the wall. that way we might have an understanding of what your quotes were based on :idea: A visual may just put this thread to bed!

fellas..fellas..

no need for such heated exchanges... surely its not such an emotive issue.

1st of all it wasnt just 400...the quotes ranged from 400 to 850.... hence the issue has arisen in the first place... how come such disparity presented itself?? Something's rotten in Denmark!? (thats a quote from Hamlet, for some members of this forum and few contributors of this thread.... it was written by that bloke William Shakespeare)

4.50 per hour of running the business can easily be offset against the tax bill.. also I am sure all the VAT find its way to the IR... so dont even try that argument... and if its only 4.50 how do you justify upwards of 30-40 quid per hour??

hanging the boiler on the wall can be illegal??? OK now when the competent and registered CORGI person comes to fit it all and perform miracles I am sure he will be able to inspect that.. if he can not put his name to a few well positioned screws on the wall I dont know what? (note boiler can be mishandled in its box..would we know about it?)

Incidentally I decided to screw it on the wall myself cos I didnt and dont trust the person who will be doing it to use spirit level and make it perfectly horizontal.. if I ask him to do it it will only annoy him because I will be here for him just to pay the money and so on...not the other way around...there so I did it just so it will not **** him off and it will not **** me off for eternity like all the other work pros have done..None if it square . I have high standards so dont go asking about my water pipe work.
. its spot on..I will put my life on it..

now these are the issues I really have..not paying the money.. why are some gas engineers and trades people taking the ****??????????? you can spot them a mile off... its a dead cert when they start with the famous words.. How long is a piece of string?

those of you who are in the industry take note... do something about it.. be honest, be competent, be fair... and dont try it on even if the likelihood of you getting away with it is high..

thats all... its not communist philosophy, its not straight from the Fidel Castro-Joseph Stalin manual (these are other famous people who can be googled) its an indicator of human progress and finally its morally correct to be and do all those things the way I described them.... and dont go marking up the materials over and above for extra income.. it might be the widely used practise but what moral justification do you have for doing that when you get stuff at 20% off at least..??? Are you manufacturing it?

boiler will go on the inside of an outside wall in the corner..flue to be positioned with one bend and straight out...400mm from the nearest window... inside a vented space that will easily be accessible through a set of doors... `spur is 350mm from it. pipes lead up to it from bellow the floor boards... everything is spot on..and did I mention..no gas work has taken place..

condensation can be run back parallel to the gas pipe and into the gully trap below... It has been suggested that I can run it outside into the porch guttering pipe which then goes into the above mentioned gully trap but I am not sure thats a good idea even though it will do the job, since it didnt come from a CORGI registered fella. :D

Do you have any idea how patronising that all sounds? Apart from that though, you come on here and tell us all how cr4p we are, how much of a better job you can do yourself etc etc. Then you accuse us all of overcharging for our less than wonderful services, and have the cheek to lecture us on what would be a fair price in your view. Then you probably sit there wondering why you've got up peoples noses. :LOL: :LOL: Sorry mate but there are certain people whom we learn with experience, are best avoided (knowalls basically). You and that idiot AtoZ are prime examples.

That's irrelevant, as the bulletin has no legal standing.

That's irrelevant, as the bulletin has no legal standing.

It also states that signing off work that is NOT done by a corgi registered installer is not acceptable and that the RGI, AND the unregistered installer (mr cheap in this case) can be prosecuted.
That's merely commentary on the legislation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back