please help me CORGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellas..

I am in desparate need of a corgi registered person to come and install a worcester bosch 24i junior and whatever rest needs to be done. I have led all the pipes to the area where it will be but no1 is interested in this work it seems.. ALL local enquiries have been met with cold shower or outrageous quotes.. Can you please help with advice??

Always Happy

Sponsored Links
mine usually is half full unless its only 1/4 full... at the moment its sprung a leak so its only about 1/10 full.. clear as mud?? I thought so..

In any case I am the sort of chap thats fair and straight up. Now can you help or not?

WHy do you think the quotes you have got are expensive?

if you have had say three quotes of roughly the same price then thats that.

:)

Sponsored Links
oh BTW the best one I have heard so far is...

"As you have done the pipe work yourself I can not be sure that it has been done correctly so I can not do the rest as I will not be able to certify it.. "

hmmm?? After a brief discussion of facts it changed to :

"I will have to check it which is as good as having to do it again... which means I will have to do the same amount of work regardless..."

Its a lucky thing I am not senile.. but I feel for the older members of unsuspecting public.

Out of 5 people I called only 3 turned up to have a look... 2 didnt bother.. I appreciated their honesty... (I usually supply and fit..I dont just fit!)

and the quotes ranged from 400- 850 just for labour..

my estimation says that installing a new boiler in the new system is 4hrs work at best (generous).. and at 30 quid an hour (genereous) should be 120 quid.. but ok.. the times are tough and I am willing to pay double (over generous).. but it seems that even 60 quid an hour is just too little for some people.. I wander how much does a nurse make nowdays?

30 PH Generous????????????

4 Hours to fit a boiler?????????????

Blimey charlie your expectations are well off IMHO

If I was you I would be grateful to find someone willing to fit a boiler that you have supplied anyway.

Any way good luck

oh BTW the best one I have heard so far is...

"As you have done the pipe work yourself I can not be sure that it has been done correctly so I can not do the rest as I will not be able to certify it.. "

hmmm?? After a brief discussion of facts it changed to :

"I will have to check it which is as good as having to do it again... which means I will have to do the same amount of work regardless..."

Its a lucky thing I am not senile.. but I feel for the older members of unsuspecting public.

Well he is right, where the gas run is concerned anyway.

No way I would put my name to anyone elses work,and I dont know many that would.

corgiman....

you have misunderstood my points.. furthermore you are not being helpful!

Are you suggesting that it would take more than 4hours to run a pipe from the gas meter to the (already correctly positioned hanging) boiler and connect all the pipes into it.. plus a flue and test the system?? note that the gas pipe work is done by the person in question...

40 hrs per week is the norm... at 30 quid per hour thats 1200 per week

50 weeks (2 week holidays) is equivalent to 60 000.. is this a wage to be sniffed at ????????????

and furthermore my post clearly states that I am willing to pay double that.. I guess that will allow for your next point..you are self employed and only work when you can find work.. hmm so half the time if your lucky (my heart goes out to you)..

May I use this opportunity to ask What does it feel like living mortgage free??

no best we go to "HOW LONG IS A PIECE OF STRING?"

I hope each and every individual in UK today wakes up and ties a piece of string on the other side of the door handle and let guys like you measure as far away as you can go and then cut it off so you wont be able to find your way back..

talk about not knowing when your having it good!?

In a nutshell you and the above mentioned are doing a disservice to your profession... who best to sort it out but your colleagues?? someone!!??

I would do it for £60 per hour plus travelling time and materials, but then I am not proud.

Yeah but at least corgiman is sitting in a nice warm house with a boiler connected .
You on the otherrhand will struggle to get anyone to do the work for you for one reason .
You are telling someone what you think job will cost and not believing what they are telling you it will cost.

Few installers will feel comfortable installing your boiler and then have to 'suck it and see' if the rest of the installation is satisfactory, assuming of course that your choice of site is acceptable with regards to flueing etc. We are also justifiably quite often cynical when confronted by diy plumbing. Your work and purchase of the boiler has been to save costs. Installers like to fit their preferred boilers - thats understandable and cost effective, since their warranty calls on the boiler and installation for the following 12 month period will be free of charge to you the customer. The vast majority of installers avoid jobs like yours because they are too problematic. Your job is financially unattractive and they are having to take responsibility and certify your work seen and unseen- definately outside their 'comfort zone'. What quotes have you had? How much?

Shame you are far away in London Elite..

In response to this last post though...Well then it is simply like this...

Shamelessly charge what you can get from people in need...

Curiously.. when has it happened that at the end of the job engineer/builder/electrician/decorator said.. aah it actually took me less time.. it took me only 4 hrs and 45 minutes not 6 hrs like I thought it might so my estimate was an overestimate.. here is some money back so you can buy your little toddler that bicycle he much desires???

One thing is for sure.. I dont like being cold but I much less like going further in debt..

I am well aware that only a fool knows a price of everything and value of nothing... do you?!

sorry that was a response to nemsag.. not the last response..

the boiler is a 24i greenstar junior...new and under warranty anyway..

the fittings are pushfit and can be tested..

financially unatractive it may be but thats life... I am not going into debt to make it more financially attractive for someone... I just weant things to be fair..

for quotes see above..400-850 just labour

So when you go shopping do you say mr sainsbury lives in a big mansion so i will give you 50 percent of what is on the till.

But dont worry every penny the guys quote you goes straight into there pockets.
The van fairy gives them a new one every couple of years and miraculously fills it with fuel every night .
The insurance fairy sends them a certificate every year without them having to send over a thousand pounds plus.
They will have learnt to fit boilers purely by the power of thought with no tools required as they only cost more unnecassary money.
Corgi registration and the thousands of pounds in exam costs and lost wages are also not even an after thought.
So basicaly they will do the job you are not capable of purely for a bit of beer money and to keep them from under the wifes feet at home. :rolleyes: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back