Please help my smelly kitchen!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I haven't done this before so I hope I'm doing it right.

I've just moved into a flat which is part of a converted church. The kitchen and lounge is all open plan. The kitchen sink absolutely stinks, especially when it is used. Of course then this spreads throughout the rest of the flat and is really unpleasant.

I have tried using drain unblockers but they don't make any difference.

I am skint now as I have just moved in. Is there anything that I can do to avoid having to pay expensive plumbing bills?

Hope someone can help me......... :D

Thank you

Sponsored Links
how long has the sink been fitted?

is it stainless or butler?

(a photo of the sink and its trap will help)

often there is disgusting grease and food residue in the trap and overflow.

if the trap is sealing properly you should not be able to smell anything from the drains beyond the trap

However there might be a leak in the drain behind or under the unit, which could smell. You will have to investigate to see if this is the case.

If standpipes have been fitted to allow dishwashr or washing machine to drain, examine these to see if they have traps and are sealed and not allowing odours out.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Erm...I don't know the first thing about plumbing, and I don't know what you mean by traps? Could you give me an idiots guide please?

Thanks again

sink traps

p2036022_l.jpg

p1072915_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So do I need to take them off then to see if there's a blockage? How will I know if they aren't sealing properly??? It smells like there is an opening to the sewer pipe rather than a blockage really. :oops:

still asking:
how long has the sink been fitted?

is it stainless or butler?

(a photo of the sink and its trap will help)

often there is disgusting grease and food residue in the trap and overflow.

if the trap is sealing properly you should not be able to smell anything from the drains beyond the trap

However there might be a leak in the drain behind or under the unit, which could smell. You will have to investigate to see if this is the case.

If standpipes have been fitted to allow dishwashr or washing machine to drain, examine these to see if they have traps and are sealed and not allowing odours out.

use your nose to determine where the smell is coming from.

They are called traps because they trap water in the bottom, approx up to the joints in the two arms of the U bend above. This prevents any smells coming through.

If you are getting smells up the sink plug hole. washing m/c or dishwasher drain, either there is no water in the trap or the trap is bunged up with potato peelings dried soap powder etc.

Take the trap out and clean it - not in the sink you have taken the trap from :!: :oops: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back