Please help! SABRE 25 Combi Boiler problems- no heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im after some advise and hoping someone can maybe help me (please!)
I have a Sabre HE25 Combi Boiler (same as a Vokera compact 25 I believe?), which is only 18 months.
My problems started 3 weeks ago when the boilers green light changed to a flashing orange light which indicated a ‘temporary fault’ and to ‘wait’. The hot water would change to cold water etc after about 10 minutes and then come back on as hot again shortly. This then changed to water going cold and not going hot again.
A friend kindly offered to have a look at the boiler for me (as I am quite skint right now but he is no plumber) and through things we have read on the internet, I cleaned the tubes (from the Differential Pressure switch to the fan) with cotton buds and blew through them. The boiler seemed to work with the front inner metal cover off but as soon as the cover was replaced and seemed to ‘touch’ the tubes attached to the Switch, the boiler would go out again. This was rectified by releasing the corner of the metal cover just slightly to let air out and then the boiler would fire up again and work. You could hear the noise of air when opened.
Ok, after much playing around for a good few hours, my friend thought I might have a faulty Differential Pressure Switch and need a new one. After much phoning around locally and having problems getting the part (that’s another story!!), I eventually got one and my friend replaced it (after going a week with the top cover slightly off so I could have some hot water).
. This seemed to work and I have hot water, great! However, now I have realised this obviously wasn’t the whole problem as I have now found out I cannot get heating for longer than 10-15 mins without the boiler shutting down and displaying the red light of death (overheating or so the manual says. I don’t know if has been like this since the water a few weeks back or started this week) The radiators get nice and hot. I can switch the boiler off straight away and then straight back on again and it works again but only for so long. The fan has been checked and is clean.
If anyone can offer any advise (apart from don’t buy a Sabre boiler) I would greatly appreciate it. Yes I know I should call a plumber and I know I will have to but I really don’t have the money right now so am just holding off with no heating for the moment. When I called the Sabre helpline they wanted around £200 to come and fix it. If it is bad news, please break it to me gently!! Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading. :(

Sponsored Links
really should not be running boiler with cover off, too dangerous for words

fault could be to do with burner gas pressures (do not DIY this is for RGIs only)

fault could be with primary ntc thermistor, they are about £8 each and you could diy these in pretty easy. step by step instructions are in the boiler manual

Sponsored Links
Hi, Just wanted to post to thank you so much for your comments and advise.
Also i think i was unclear about the cover-sorry - it is back on, has been since the DPS was changed last week. I had it slightly lifted off at the corner for about 5 days prior to that only, as it was the only way i could get any hot water for a few days. :oops: Not good i know and the covers are all back on now. Hopefully i will manage to get it sorted out shortly. I was more scared of the potential cost of something big but hopefully it wont be that major. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back