Please help stop my dribbling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just moved into a new home and have discovered a problem with my shower fittings - see photo...

showerleak.jpg

Water is dribbling very slowly (one drip per minute) from the top fitting and very quickly ( 2 pints per hour) from the front and back of the right hand side nut. I borrowed a large spanner but couldn't turn the nut at all in either direction. The leak from the nut has got progressively worse over the last month so I've had to turn the cold water supply off to stop it. There's no name on the fitting either.

My question is this - can I get away with squirting some silicone around it to buy some time? Money's very tight at the moment so I can't afford a plumber for a couple of months.

Also, does this look like a quick fix with a bit of ptfe for the plumber or does it look like I have to buy a new shower as well?
:(

Any advice very gratefully received,
A Damsel in Distress

Sponsored Links
No to the silicone.

Turn the water supply off to the mixer.

Undo and remove the mixer unit and riser and replace the rubber seals. Sorted. Available from plumb merchants, B&Q etc

Use a cloth/flannel in the jaws of the spanner to stop it scratching the 'chrome nuts', :oops: or they will go rusty.

Good shout, not sure about brass (or stainless) going rusty though - scratched or not!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can persuade a strapping male friend to have a go at the nut as I couldn't shift it. Cheers for the cloth tip too!

two things, first depending where the top leak is coming from you might need a 1/2" allan key if it is coming from the fitting going into the shower rather than the top nut as the hex for the spanner is internal, second how do you add the lines and text to a photo?

that doesn't tell me how to do it, it only proves you can add text to a photo and turn a shower with 2 leaks into one with 8!! i posted to prove how clever i was at fixing showers AND to ask a question which would teach me something, you only posted to prove how clever you were but didn't help me LOL

kirk, move your cursor over the pic and select save, dump it in say photos, open your paint click file and then open and make alterations then save and upload through photobucket.

easy :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back