PLEASE HELP! - Tiling onto a butcher's block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I offered to tile a friend's butcher's block top with a few tiles - used good tile primer, superflexi adhesive and flexi grout with an admix....
The next day the block had bowed and the tiles and grout had cracked!
I need to sort this out!
Wondering if I remove the tiles, plane the top down so it's level again, then put a substrate on top like backerboard or plywood so i'm not tiling onto the porous wood? I read fixing 15 pound roof felt and metal lath then tiling?
Anyone know what to do, I don't what to bugger it up a second time!
:cry:

Sponsored Links
The bowing is caused by the top layer of the wood absorbing the water from the adhesive & expanding; apart from WBP floors, timber is not an ideal tile base as it is not dimensionally when wet. If you remove the tiles you will probably find the block will dry out & revert to its original shape on its own. If you plane the block flat before it’s dried it may end up with a hollow in it. 6mm backer board is an option but mechanically fix rather than use tile adhesive.

Tiling a butchers block seems a strange thing to do, I assume he’s not going to carry on using it as – a butchers block :confused:

Richard C says.............

tiling a butchers block seems a strange thing to do, I assume he's not going to carry on using it as a ------- butchers block :confused:

Possible new use autopsy table :p

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back