Can I tile directly onto plywood or do I need to seal it first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after some general advice here.

I'm tiling a small cloakroom. I've already installed a vanity unit and I am now tiling around the walls.

One wall has an ugly pipe and I intend to build up the surface either side of the pipe with 9mm plywood, then tile over the top so that the finished tiles are flush and the finished appearance is not broken up by the pipe.

I have got a tub of Evo-Stick Tile Adhesive & Grout (which seems to be somewhat thinner and more 'runny' than previous tile adhesive that I've used) and it says to allow up to 24 hrs on porous surfaces and 48hrs on non-porous surfaces for the adhesive/grout to set.

1666530223053.png

Is it okay to use the adhesive/grout directly onto the plywood or should I seal the surface of the plywood first with some paint or varnish.

If I should seal the surface first - which is best - a primer/undercoat, an emulsion paint or a varnish? Also, if a paint or varnish, a gloss or matt finish?

Since the instructions on the product say 24hrs cure on porous surfaces, I'm guessing that I can use this directly without sealing the plywood first.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

XRD

Sponsored Links
9mm ply too thin to hold tiles, adhesive + grout tends to be too thin for adhesive and too thick for grout , terrible stuff.

Ply is the wrong material.
Use cement board, such as https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-AQUAPANEL®-Board---12-5mm-x-900mm-x-1-2m/p/207027

Tub slop adhesive isn't recommended either.

Since the instructions on the product say 24hrs cure on porous surfaces, I'm guessing that I can use this directly without sealing the plywood first.
No, it means that it sets by drying out, so on porous surfaces the water in the product will soak in and it will dry out faster.
On other surfaces all of the moisture must evaporate through the grout lines, which with small tiles will take a long time and with large tiles it will never set.

Cement based adhesive supplied as a powder will be far better, and you won't need any primers/undercoats or other nonsense.

Thanks for the replies.

@foxhole

9mm ply too thin to hold tiles, adhesive + grout tends to be too thin for adhesive and too thick for grout , terrible stuff.

I'm puzzled by the comment "9mm ply is too thin to hold tiles". Can you please elaborate? - thanks.

I agree that the 'tub slop' is too sloppy to be an adhesive (I'm part-way through the job which I'm doing for a cash-strapped friend). It seems to be okay as grout though.

@flameport

Regarding the AQUAPANEL - is 12.5mm the thinnest they do? 9mm is about as thick as the location can take as there are other pipes in front of the wall and the requirement is to tile behind unless we go to the added hassle of boxing in the pipes altogether.

Cheers

XRD

Sponsored Links
6mm cement board is available , thin ply will flex and tiles will pop off .

6mm cement board is available , thin ply will flex and tiles will pop off .

Thank you for clarifying that.

I'm planning on applying a fair amount of "Sticks Like Sh*t" (which I have found to be an excellent, "grabby" adhesive) so surely the plywood wouldn't flex?

As an aside, I've had a look for thinner cement board - specifically AQUAPANEL - but it seems that 12.5mm is the thinnest they do. Do you have a link to any 6mm cement board?

Kind regards

XRD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back