Please Help - Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

Has anyone ever come across the Polyplumb Overlay Underfloor Heating system. They say it only uses up 18mm in height and does not need insulation. I called Polyplumb and they said it gave 100W/m2 - as much as their "traditional" screeded system.

Does anyone know if its any good? I am concerned that although its power output is 100W it is less efficient because of the lack of insulation beneath it or are the panels made of something "special" that means you don't need the insulation?

Also, do other manufacturers do similar products? If so are these better/worse in any way?

Thanks a lot guys!

Sponsored Links
Velta do an 18mm UFH system (Tecto), but it has to be insulated......

You will lose output if the floor is uninsulated. It may also be contrary to Building Regs but I have n't checked this to be fact.

The Velta sits in a wet screed; if the Polyplumb sits in it's own insulation that may suffice but UFH works best as a heatstore, not as tube with no thermal mass other than the water.

just about all the underfloor manaufacturers do the 18mm depth systems.

I have installed 1 system with it. It does comply with building regs as it only added onto the existing floor.

The downsides to this system are that they cool down much faster than a screeded version.

As far as insulation it is not required. You may loose a small amount of heat but as heat rises not really a problem.

Your final floor covering has the most effect on how well it will work.

Sponsored Links
snb thanks ... we are thinkuing engineeered oak or walnut ... probs not as good as ceramic or stone ... what do you have and how do you find it? Would you say its more efficient than central heating through radiators?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back