Please help - which is best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone give an opinion on this.

I am trying to fine tune my system and have been trying to eliminate the air that the pump pulls in from my open vented system. The RGI installed an aerjec de-aerator but it does gurgle a bit and hasn't eliminated the problem. The RGI I had do this was not my RGI of choice who has been away ( have finally found lovely man who really knows what he is talking about).

Anyway - he is now back and I contacted him re: a TVR that was stubbornly sticking down. He has said that he would not have put in the de-aerator what should have been done was to combine the cold feed and vent in the loft which would eliminate the air problem. I am tempted to get him to come and do this as I understand that the de-aerators clog after some time.

I wondered what views were on this and whether it would be better to get the piping re-plumbed to combine the cold feed and vent or leave the de-aerator in.

Thanks for your help

Val

Sponsored Links
A correctly installed and positioned air sep should not allow air into your system.There is an underlying fault with your installation/system. Restrictions,open vent height are but two reasons. A good heating eng should be able to quickly id the faults. A 22mm combined feed and vent is now common practice and will elliminate air ingress probs.Boiler should have overheat protection fitted when using this pipe configuration. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you 45yearsagasman

Would the boiler have overheat protection? It is a WB 40cdi conventional. I think I may ask my (lovely) RGI to come and re-plumb to combined feed if this is common practice.

Sponsored Links
It's still possible to get air ingress, on the inlet side of the pump, though a micro-leak which lets air in but not water out. They can be hard to track down, but checking everything is done up, & doesn't have staining betraying a leak, is worthwhile.

Now your air sep is in there, I'd leave it.

Hi - yes I think it is correctly installed, in line with the diagram on the literature that I have seen. Since having the new boiler installed I have had a very noisy system much of which is attributable to air - was very quiet with my old Potterton Kingfisher which I would give a kings ransom to have back!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Val

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back