Please Help

Thanks
My husband filled it up to 1 and it is leaking outside still. WHy would water keep coming out anyway even if the seal is not working properly why would water still get to the pipe to come out in the first place , where would it go anyway if not throught he pipe?
Hubby said can he strip and clean the prv anyway or renew it
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Kim Reed wrote

WHy would water keep coming out anyway even if the seal is not working properly why would water still get to the pipe to come out in the first place ,

The same reason water runs from your tap when you turn it on ??.

PRESSURE.

I understand that !! But a tap is supposed to let out water , water purposely goes to it, surely water is not supposed to keep going to and out throught the pipe. Water is not supposed to keep coming out so why is reaching it constantly. Does water go there anyway but usually something is there to stop it coming out through the pipe. How can I solve this and is it just a maetter of changing this pipe and cleaning it, can it be.

nickso said:
AAV is knackered....common enough...geta new one on.

expansion vessel may be burst or it may be ok.....you said your hubby "put some air in"....how much and did he do it properly as per the FAQ's?

prv is almost certainly knackered now after all of this. i doubt very much that it will seat properly now.

either replace the AAV and PRV or get someone to do it. repressurise the exvessel properly and see if that stops the pressure rising on heating demand....if it doesnt geta new one of those also.

i dont remember seeing the boiler type mentioned in this thread so far.....what is it?

Sponsored Links
Think of your prv as a spring loaded tap. (purely hypothetical)

But it never opens as the pressure is too low.

Then some day someone turns the pressure up or manually turns it open.
Hey presto, the spring loaded tap opens and discharges filthy water.

Because the spring loaded tap has not been opened in a long time, it partially ceizes up due to corrosion (or alternatively could be the filthy water has lodged some debris on the spring loaded taps sealing surfaces)

RESULT.
Water keeps discharging from the PRV ( or hypothetically "the spring loaded tap")

Do this exactly:

Open the PRV to drain boiler down to ZERO bar.

Put a pressure gauge on the expansion vessel schraider valve (looks like a car tyre valve).

The pressure should be about 0.7 Bar. If its lower than this pump up the vessel.

Make sure the boiler pressure gauge is showing zero when you check the expansion vessel pressure.

Replace the automatic air vent.

Clean out or replace the PRV.

Re-fill the boiler to 1 Bar maximum.

Bleed radiators and reset boiler pressure to 1 Bar.

Now tell us what the pressure does when the rads get hot.

Am getting new AAV tomorrow hopefully or tuesday and will follow what you say and get back, thanks all so much, ta,ta for now !!

Hi again
Just asking, my husband says when he puts air into ex vessel it just comes out of the pipe at the back of the wall. What would this mean
Thanks

kevplumb said:
and pressed the button and water shot out of it

it's gone to that great combi in the sky :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

thats what it means :cry: :cry: :cry:

it is a dead ev ,it is no more ,it should br pushing up daisies

if some herb hadn't nailed it to the boiler it would have fell of it's perch

(copyright monty python)

:LOL: ;)

Ah, but that was the AAV I got it mixed uo so we have ordered a new one, I am on about the exp vessel now as when we pressed that valve air came out, not water and a thread said it should do that, but then we were told to add some air with pump and we did but it comes out of the pipe, does this mean it is naffed or diaphragm has gone, or that it should come out anyway from somewhere.

kevplumb said:
kevplumb said:
and pressed the button and water shot out of it

it's gone to that great combi in the sky :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

thats what it means :cry: :cry: :cry:

it is a dead ev ,it is no more ,it should br pushing up daisies

if some herb hadn't nailed it to the boiler it would have fell of it's perch

(copyright monty python)

:LOL: ;)

if you don't take the hint

I GIVE UP

Kim reed wrote

I am on about the exp vessel now as when we pressed that valve air came out, not water and a thread said it should do that, but then we were told to add some air with pump and we did but it comes out of

Are you certain the system was fully depressurised when you pressed the valve on top of the expansion vessel.

Sounds like a duff expansion vessel. :(

nickso said:
nickso said:
AAV is knackered....common enough...geta new one on.

expansion vessel may be burst or it may be ok.....you said your hubby "put some air in"....how much and did he do it properly as per the FAQ's?

prv is almost certainly knackered now after all of this. i doubt very much that it will seat properly now.

either replace the AAV and PRV or get someone to do it. repressurise the exvessel properly and see if that stops the pressure rising on heating demand....if it doesnt geta new one of those also.

i dont remember seeing the boiler type mentioned in this thread so far.....what is it?

If I were you I would ring a heating engineer who will probably diagnose the problem in 2 minutes and get it sorted. It will cost you a few quid but if you are struggling to fully understand the nature of the problem how on earth are you going to properly fit a replacement AAV yourself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back