Please identify this part on my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch R30 HE combi. It was serviced by a local plumber but he managed to break a part that is now leaking water (dripping quite slowly - he taped it up). I have marked it with an arrow in the image.

20160420_083235.jpg

The plumber is being a tw@t about it so I am wondering if I can replace this part easily enough (as a non-plumber) myself. If so, I need to know what part to order. Does it just unscrew or un-clip somehow?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That is a sweeping statement. I love the way you yourself have no qualifications in this regard but can condemn the actions of another person that almost certainly does.

Worcester traps can and often do have a small drip when they age, they have to be opened as part of the service and if they leak afterwards it is often down to the material aging rather than the service engineer.

A small drip from an O ring does not necessarily constitute an immediate risk to health; furthermore a service on a 14 year old boiler does not warrant or imply all the parts are good, or that it will last another month, or a year.

How can I find the part number to order a new one (so I cn get another plumber to fit it)?

So is it true that I can't replace this, if its just a drip of some condensate water?

Obviously this local plumber is a person who is not qualified to work on gas appliances

but can condemn the actions of another person that almost certainly does.

almost certainly does. I suggested he was not qualified as he had bodged a repair / service, but then I forgot that it is forgivable in the world if RGI on this forum to leave the cap off the flue sampling port of a boiler allowing water vapour and combustion gases into the house.

Dan Robinson said:
Yep; bit naughty of him to have forgotten it, but we all have or will do it at some stage in our careers.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/problem-after-boiler-service.451350/#ixzz46M1STj6N

Would it have still been classed as "a bit naughty" if it had resulted in serious harm or a fatality ?.

Perhaps you would like to find the posts (which are legion) where the poor work of the qualified has also been slated.

Frankly, your opinion on most things are as valid as yesterday's parking voucher.

Shall I bring up your fairy liquid comment? Or perhaps the one where you declared a bus communication is an on/off relay?

Fool.

Dan

The relay incident, was there bus communication into the PCB of the boiler or was there bus communication only as far as a module that then presented a relay closure to the boiler's PCB when another module on the bus required the boiler to fire up.

********** This does detect leaky joints or pin holes in pipes. ***************** the use of ********
UNSAFE PROCEDURE DELETED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong. Searching for gas leaks other than by nose is not a DIY activity we can support. A DIY person is not able to check the tightness of an installation so should not be attempting any repair. Therefore there is little point trying to search for it, which may make the situation worse.

Mod
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the smell of gas is strong then the person should open windows, leave the building and call the gas emergency number.
=================================================================
YOU OMITTED TO ADVISE TO TURN THE GAS OFF AT THE "EMERGENCY CONTROL" (GAS TAP NORMALLY ACCESSIBLE BY THE METER). PLEASE STOP TRYING TO GIVE ADVICE ON ANY MATTER TO DO WITH GAS, PERIOD.
Mod
=========================================================================

Not all RGIs are signed up to this forum and some that are not do share my concerns about the quality of work that is performed by some who have passed the RGI exam and validation assesments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you explain in more detail how this plumber is responding to the situation?

As explained to you above, sometimes parts, particularly plastic bits, can break during work on a boiler.

My way of dealing with that is accepting the cost of replacing the part and the additional visit that will entail.

If the boiler is very old or in poor condition then I warn the client of the situation and explain that I can only work on it at their own risk.

My view is that you should accept the cost of the replacement part and the plumber should be willing to fit it at no further cost.

Tony

Dan

If the smell of gas is strong then the person should open windows, leave the building and call the gas emergency number.

Not all RGIs are signed up to this forum and some that are not do share my concerns about the quality of work that is performed by some who have passed the RGI exam and validation assesments.

If there is a gas leak then the first thing to do is turn off the supply at the Emergency Control at the meter!

A DIYer should not even be searching for a leak.

I told him I am happy to pay what it takes to fix as I understand these things happen.....but he is not returning my calls at all. 3 weeks and counting. The dripping fills a large jug over about 2 days so not serious on that front (we switched off the boiler when we went away over a weekend and it stopped dripping)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back