Problem after boiler service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my annual service done on my Worcester combination boiler just before Christmas. There were no problems discovered. However, when I got in this evening the boiler seemed to be making a slightly different noise than usual, so I decided to investigate. When I opened the cupboard that it is in I discovered that the pipes were covered in condensation and the floor of the cupboard was damp. This is not a problem I have ever seen before (boiler is about 5 years old). I noticed that a cap was also lying on the floor. This cap seems to perfectly fit an outlet on the back of the flue. Has the engineer forgotten to replace it, and if so what problems would it be causing

91909-7acb3a0518cbd9d3c09ad7523df265f2.jpg
91908-df6b1134661ad2f6ea5774c65940ec8c.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like a flue gas sampling port, where the engineer would insert his analyser probe.
The cap should be screwed back on.
John :)

Screw it back on and ask your engineer if he could check it.
I'm sure he'll be round asap.

Yep; bit naughty of him to have forgotten it, but we all have or will do it at some stage in our careers.

One of my guys was servicing a raft of boilers for an estate agent the other week and think he had 4 in a row like that.

Sponsored Links
You never forgot to do up something?
I'm sure we all have at some point and got away with it!
No one killed or hurt.
Cap back on so move on.

To try to avoid that problem I have a procedure to screw the cap back on when I remove the FGA probe.

Just like I check I have keys when I close the front door at home.

I must admit that carbon monoxide leakage did cross my mind, but presumably if the boiler was working efficiently then it shouldn't be a problem. However, it is a bit worrying that such a simple mistake could have such potentially serious consequences.

On a modern boiler working correctly the amount of carbon monoxide in the flue gas is less that you can be breathing in a busy street.

But that does not mean that you can safely breath the flue gas because the amount of oxygen left is only a very few percent whereas in clean air its 20%.

So the real risk from leaving that cap off is very low UNLESS the boiler is not correctly set up as will be done at a service.

Tony

So the real risk from leaving that cap off is very low UNLESS the boiler is not correctly set up as will be done at a service.

If the "service engineer" has made an obvious error like leaving the cap of the sampling port then it is not impossible he or she has made other errors and ommissions during the service.

Yes I have made errors and omissions, quite a few over the years BUT, where things are possibly critical then a check list has been used and the errors or omissions have been found.

It is not an intentional error. It also shows that he was checking the flue gas composition.

It is an unfortunate omission and probably because he was distracted by a telephone call or an occupant asking something.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

But those a little experienced will ensure that before they leave they turn the gas back on, open CH isolating valves, open cold water in to boiler, return controls to normal positions and check flue test points are closed. That's the happy customer way. I also wash my hands with hot water to ensure that's OK before I leave.

I have probably found maybe two left off. But never heard of any injuries caused by that kind of thing. I hope I have never left any off.

I stick mine onto a bit of blue tack on the front of my analyser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back