Is it safe to use a boiler needing adjustment to gas/air?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed in Dec 2012. Unfortunately I forgot to get the first year service done - combination of Christmas & being a busy full-time working mum with loads of things to organise...it's one of those things that's on the very long list of things to do!

Yesterday it started making a very loud noise whenever the hot taps were turned on - my son described it as a farting noise. Looking on youtube there are a few WB boilers with the same noise, described as trumpeting. It seems to be the gas/air mixture needs adjusting, which is one of the things that would've been done had I remembered to get the service done? I've arranged to have a service done (and will get one done annually), but is the boiler safe to use in the meantime?

Sponsored Links
It is very foolish not to get a new boiler serviced every year as the five year warranty depends on that!

Generally the boiler will look after itself so it will be "safe" for you to continue to use it.

However, it is not very good for the boiler to be used when its obviously out of adjustment and there is a small risk that you could do some damage to it.

I don't know why you are "waiting" for a service.

In your case I would class you boiler as needing a repair and would come the same day. But then I would charge for a repair and not a cheaper service. They are done as they can be fitted in and not usually for a week to discourage those who really need an urgent repair.

Tony

How can you say the boiler is safe to use. The reason the boiler is making a farting noise is because stable combustion cannot be achieved. This can be due to various reasons including a badly adjusted gas valve, low working gas pressure at the boiler or even possibly a break in the flue causing products of combustion to recirculate back into the boiler through the air duct. All of these problems can cause incomplete combustion which is what makes the farting noise and industry standards would class it as an AT RISK or ID appliance depending on the situation.
I know I wouldn't want to put my gas analyser anywhere near the flue gas as anyone with experience of this knows the co cells would very quickly be flooded where the CO readings will easily be in excess of 10000 ppm

Sponsored Links
Be fair with engineer , tell him you need repair, before doing service so he knows what to keep an eye out for.
People say just service needed because they think it will be cheaper, trying to be crafty.
Be honest with him, it will be cheaper in long run (probably).
It is very annoying especially when intermittent fault.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back