Best way to find a good Gas Safe Engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the extremely expensive installation of a new boiler before Christmas, I am left with a noisy system. I am not sure whether the noise is coming from the new boiler, the pump or from the black solenoid thing attached to the Dayton wireless thermostat. It is a loud vibrating hum that wakes me up when the heating comes on in the morning. I also seem to have a lot of air in the system and my two heated towel rails are making loud gurgling noises continuously and have to be vented every few days. Anyway, I don't want to call the installer I had back in. There are literally hundreds of Gas Safe registered engineers in my area on the Gas Safe website, but how do I identify one that really knows what they are doing?

Sponsored Links
In my opinion the best way to find a good anything is to talk to your neighbours and freinds and get recommendations.

Sponsored Links
some info on the boiler used, other controls if fitted, may help us to understand why there is an air problem, is this an open vent system (tank in loft) ?

Yes there is a tank in the loft. I have been told by someone else that the installer should have fitted a non return valve which was not done, in fact, apart from the fitting for the wireless thermostat no work was done with regard to the system as a whole apart from flushing the system and fitting a magna clean. I have 22 radiators and a Worcester 40 cdi condensing boiler and a 15/50 pump

My two towel rails are also heated from the hot water system so they heat even when the central heating (radiators) are off.

It is difficult to identify where the noise is actually coming from as it travels down the pipes and pump, solenoid and boiler seem to resonate.

Why dont you want to call the original installer back?
What went wrong?

My two towel rails are also heated from the hot water system so they heat even when the central heating (radiators) are off.

Not allowed under current regs, so alarm bells should be going off.

I am still shaking. I had phoned Gas Safe to see if the installer had registered the boiler as I hadn't received a certificate or anything (he hasn't) and they recommended I contact him, so I phoned him re: the noise and the registration and had my head bitten off. I was told that he had just exchanged a product for a product and anything else he would do would be chargeable. (I have already paid £4.5K) He said that he had balanced the system (he didn't) as a courtesy and he didn't have to do that so wasn't I lucky. Any noise was the system and nothing to do with him. He would also register the boiler in his own time. When I asked how long this would be he said "I will have to see".

This guy is a gas safe registered engineer and I don't want him back in the house he is very intimidating. It gives me no confidence at all in the boiler installation or my central heating system.

This is awful.

I hope the guys on here will help out because its the type of person that you have unfortunately employed that drags the whole industry down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back