Problem after boiler service

the place that does my car does them by hand, with a torque wrench. I had no trouble getting one off when I had a flat.

That said, last time it was serviced, I got home to a message asking me to take it back. They had left the locking nut key on a wheel. This is surely comparable.

I've known people use red chalk on nuts as they tighten each one, to help spot anything omitted.

Sponsored Links
Mind you, their calibration routine could do with brushing up..
Mr nearest Kwik Schit is boycotted for several reasons. Not least the tightness of they're "calibrated" wrench.

Even kwikfit get a second engineer to check the wheel nuts torque after a wheel change.

There was a tyre place in Coventry where they advertised prominently that they tighten your wheel nuts by hand !

Too many people have had a puncture and could not remove the KwikFit impact wrenched wheel nuts at the roadside !
Quick fit always use a torque wrench to tighten set for vehicle model.

Sponsored Links
Reading this thread and the word hypercritical comes to mind.

Advice cannot be given to DIYers about gas work. They are told not to open any boiler cases in case they do not make the room seal effective when they re-assemble the boiler.

Yet when a ( supposedly ) qualified and GasSafe registered technician leaves a boiler with its room seal in-effective his actions are described as an acceptable error or omission.

Advice cannot be given to DIYers about gas work. They are told not to open any boiler cases in case they do not make the room seal effective when they re-assemble the boiler.

Yet when a ( supposedly ) qualified and GasSafe registered technician leaves a boiler with its room seal in-effective his actions are described as an acceptable error or omission.
It is you isn't it. Come on, time to 'fess up

Oh do shut up your getting boring now!

It is you isn't it. Come on, time to 'fess up
A bit of tea break research

I doubt that you meant Walter Systems Morgenstrasse 129, 3018 Bern, Switzerland

so I added "gas" to the search terms and found this

Walter Systems New Member ( Screw fix 2006 )

No that is not me

John Harrison ?

Well there is ( was ) John Harrison (3 April [O.S. 24 March] 1693– 24 March 1776) was a self-educated English carpenter and clockmaker who invented the marine chronometer, a long-sought after device for solving the problem of calculating longitude while at sea.

I guess you meant the John Harrison who is ( was ) a member of this forum ( found using google )

No I am not him either.

I thought Bernard was an electrician - it doesn't seem to stop him trolling though.
Electronics Design Engineer covering a very wide range of applications, from communications to heavy industrial control systems, during my 50 year career. ( yes I am quite old )
To design electronics one has to have comprehensive knowledge about the equipment / application the electronics are destined for.

There is no issue with giving gas advice at all, just this site chooses its own rules which say no. I can find you acs reference, boiler manuals, books, magazines etc all available online or in your local library which will tell more than all of us know / remember.

Yes its a serious error, but it came to light after it had been corrected with no harm done, could ring the guy up and say you put the cap back on as he had forgotten....might even get a nice bottle of wine as a thankyou.

In fairness to Bernard, he has a point - there was an element of "closing of the ranks" here. Human nature really.

Bernard, I think the RGI's on here were just a tad annoyed at the tone of the OP pointing out this omission - and you seem to have been caught in the crossfire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back