Problem after boiler service

Sponsored Links
So the real risk from leaving that cap off is very low UNLESS the boiler is not correctly set up as will be done at a service.

If the air pressure outside the building is higher than the pressure inside the building then combustion products will be blown into the building through any leak in the boiler's room seal. Creating a leak the size of the sampling port will result in a lot ( if not all ) the combustion products going into the building.

Carbon Dioxide is considered to be non toxic but in high levels of Carbon Dioxide does have adverse effects
At low concentrations, gaseous carbon dioxide appears to have little toxicological effect. At higher concentrations it leads to an increased respiratory rate, tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias and impaired consciousness. Concentrations >10% may cause convulsions, coma and death.
In some people it has an intoxicating effect and this can lead them into irrational and/or hazardous behaviour.

So combustion products from a well set up boiler must not be allowed into a building hence leaving the cap off the sampling port could result in a fatality. How many times are DIYers told not to tamper with the room seal.

If a boiler with its sampling port left open later develops a combustion fault then the levels of toxic Carbon Monoxide entering the building are likely to be far above any safe level.

Cap off
Insert Probe
Measure
Make adjustment if necessary
Remove Probe
Replace Cap

Your views are what internet forums are full of. Alternate thinker my ar5e.
What would your reaction be if a car mechanic left your car in a dangerous state due to being distracted by a phone call ?

Gies peace FFS you sanctimonious fannybaws.
The guy made a daft mistake and no one was hurt.
Are you wanting the customer to hound him to death or something. (n)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I'm organising a lynch mob armed with rusty spoons this morning to track this monster down and castrate him.

The barsteward should not be allowed to spread how obviously flawed genes.

Sponsored Links
people have died due to faulty brakes on vehicles. To the best of my knowledge this isnt the case with a domestic flue sampling point.

In other words, you are vastly overstating the risks. You are also not, as far as I can tell from ther posts that are way wide of the mark, qualified to have an opinion of any merit or gravitas in this area.

Hasnt stopped you though.

. You are also not, as far as I can tell from ther posts that are way wide of the mark, qualified to have an opinion of any merit or gravitas in this area.
In the 1970's I was allowed to work on the control systems of industrial gas heaters. I learnt a great deal from the experienced gas engineers that maintained the combustion equipment in those heaters. My remit included the safety systems that detected mal functions in the combustion system.

To the best of my knowledge this isnt the case with a domestic flue sampling point.
Maybe that is because there have been very few cases of an incompetant technician forgetting to replace the cap.

Maybe that is because there have been very few cases of an incompetant technician forgetting to replace the cap.

I have never heard of a decent gasman who has never ever gone back to a property to check a cap they can't remember refitting. I've done it a good few times, never found one missing but I'd never be arrogant enough to say I have never forgotten one.

. You are also not, as far as I can tell from ther posts that are way wide of the mark, qualified to have an opinion of any merit or gravitas in this area.
In the 1970's I was allowed to work on the control systems of industrial gas heaters. I learnt a great deal from the experienced gas engineers that maintained the combustion equipment in those heaters. My remit included the safety systems that detected mal functions in the combustion system.

To the best of my knowledge this isnt the case with a domestic flue sampling point.

You truly are a legend I'm your own bathwater.

I have never heard of a decent gasman who has never ever gone back to a property to check a cap they can't remember refitting. I've done it a good few times, never found one missing but I'd never be arrogant enough to say I have never forgotten one.
This!! Amount of times I've phoned a Cust to go back to "collect serial number" in fact double check test point at gas valve ( all been ok) as you trick yourself into thinking "did I do that, I can't remember it?
This is due to you doing something automatically without even really thinking.
Have you ever driven anywhere and suddenly thought " I can't really remember getting here?"
It's the same thing.

When I remove a cap, I stick it in my back pocket so that in theory I would feel it when I sit in the van to drive off.

It gives me peace of mind!

So you don't, and have never had, any gas qualifications. Anybody who has worked on 1970s industrial gas heaters will know how complex electrically they are are.

You're not a friend of John Harrison or Walter Systems by any chance are you?

Even kwikfit get a second engineer to check the wheel nuts torque after a wheel change.

There was a tyre place in Coventry where they advertised prominently that they tighten your wheel nuts by hand !

Too many people have had a puncture and could not remove the KwikFit impact wrenched wheel nuts at the roadside !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back