Please identify what type of wiring I have from these photos

Sponsored Links
There is no safe zone running arround the bottom of the wall. That means that if you are going to have concealed cables running round there they must be either

*more than 50mm deep (which is not a reasonable option in most cases since it would require cutting dangerously deep into the wall, I guess you could argue that cable behind very thick skirting complied with this but that seems dubious to me),
*wired in a cable type with a built in earthed metal layer (such as MICC or flexishield or SWA)
*encloused in earthed metal conduit

What exactly counts as concealed is something of an issue. In trunking that is visible and obviously trunking is not concealed. Behind an ordinary skirting would be concealed. Trunking products that don't look like trunking are somewhat dubious IMO.

Oh I see what you mean about concealing, thanks. None of this was mentioned by the electrican. In fact it was his idea to use skirting 2inches from the wall with baton.

Well, skirting 2 inches deep would be 50mm deep would it not?

So using obvious trunking, instead of skirting would be ok?

What are the other options in a place with concrete floors, as you mention chasing 50mm deep into walls as being dangerously deep?

Oh I see what you mean about concealing, thanks. None of this was mentioned by the electrican. In fact it was his idea to use skirting 2inches from the wall with baton.

Well, skirting 2 inches deep would be 50mm deep would it not?
If by 2 inches deep you mean sticking out two inches from the wall then I guess it would be, that would be very thick skirting though IMO.

So using obvious trunking, instead of skirting would be ok?
Yes because such cables are not considered concealed.

What are the other options in a place with concrete floors, as you mention chasing 50mm deep into walls as being dangerously deep?
Chase horizontally from socket to socket
Run right up the wall and then either use the safe zone near the ceiling or use the void of the upstairs floor (which isn't usually concrete)
Run in earthed metal conduit
Run with a cable type that has a built in earthed metal layer

Sponsored Links
given that a brick is only 102.5mm thick, then you're cutting about halfway through.. not a huge problem if you are cutting a verticle channel, but a problem for a horizontal one, and especially bad for a channel at the bottom of the wall..
add to that the fact that some bricks have 3 large holes would leave you with barely 25mm where the holes were holding up the entire wall..

options for your situation would be earthed metalic conduit, or a cable with earthed metalic sheath.

I'd stick some MICC in, but that's not a DIY job..

Very helpful, thanks.

Yes, I meant 2 inches from the wall. Agreed skirting would be very thick, but it would also serve to conceal radiator pipes. While on the subject, would a heat proof trunking be needed if cable ran beneath the radiator pipes within this 2" deep (from the wall) skirting? Idea was also agreed by electrician.

given that a brick is only 102.5mm thick, then you're cutting about halfway through.. not a huge problem if you are cutting a verticle channel, but a problem for a horizontal one, and especially bad for a channel at the bottom of the wall..
add to that the fact that some bricks have 3 large holes would leave you with barely 25mm where the holes were holding up the entire wall..

options for your situation would be earthed metalic conduit, or a cable with earthed metalic sheath.

I'd stick some MICC in, but that's not a DIY job..

I'm starting to worry about this electrician now because one of his suggestions was to channel out (chase) the brickwork horizontally along the floor.

I said to him is that not a bad idea, for exactly the reasons you've given Coljack, and his reply was "Nah, walls like this were built to be bombproof".

I said to him is that not a bad idea, for exactly the reasons you've given Coljack,

In fact you are only allowed to cut in 1/6th of the wall thickness for horizontal channels.

"Nah, walls like this were built to be bombproof".

And would probably remain bomb-proof if left the way they were built.

Chasing that deep into bricks can and has resulted in collapsed walls

How long is modern PVC wiring supposed to last? Had my house PIR'ed 2 years ago, original wiring circa 1976 passed with no problems????

So what are we saying here?

We've established I can't chase horizontally into the walls, and I've had differing comments (some useless, see immediatelty above) on laying the cable behind skirting held from the wall by 2" baton.

I would use the designated cabling carrying skirting/trunking, but I also want to conceal CH pipes behind this skirting.

Surely skirting with 2" baton behind it would be obvious enough that it's concealing cabling/pipes. How can I get a definitive answer?

I havent read the rest of the post, but you can chase into a wall horizintally, just not 2 inches..

as long as you use a suitable cable ( such as MICC or the much newer AliTube ) then you can run the wires just under the surface.. but not at skirting level sonce there is a high probability ( in fact a certainty ) that it will be screwed or nailed to the wall, and therefore a good chance of piercing the cables..

run at the same height as the existing socket and as long as there is one socket on every wall ( and no door, this is a theoretical room ), then you can go right rond the room like that..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back