Please identify what type of wiring I have from these photos

Given the thickness and the large radius of the curves it does not look anything like pressed mild steel.

But it does look very much like ceramic.

Sponsored Links
Now, you are being silly, too muany Red Barrells!

The fuses are tinned copper wire, The fuse carrier is ceramic, or porcelain.

think he's on about the box, not the fuses..
the back is quite clearly bent sheet steel..
the front is cast..
both either enameled or powder coated..

Sponsored Links
You're 'aving a laugh aint you?

They couldn't give a stuff what they connect to their meters.

fetch.php

~4.0mm² rubber twin cable on a 100A BS88 fuse

:LOL:

Now, you are being silly, too muany Red Barrells!
Blimey.

I remember when Watney's Red replaced Red Barrel. (In my defence I was still at school).

A nice early lesson on how not all beers are good - Red Barrel was hardly a paragon of the brewer's art, but Red...
puke.gif

I do still drink something with the initials RB though, but as one of the components of a TVR. Even though I know full well that if it does get to the point when I start thinking that a TVR would be the ideal drink to have now I'm just about to put one foot onto the slippery slope.... :confused:

TVR = triple Vodka + Redbull?

that stuff is bad news..

once drank 8 cans in one night ( in my defence it was on an overnight job in london, and I'd been at work since 06:00 and had to be back the next day.. )

I was crapping orange for 2 days afterwards..

Oh no - not triple vodka, only a double measure of spirits (2 x singles) - quite sensible.

Tequila, Vodka, Red Bull

huh... never tried tequilla.. might give that a go..
any recomendations on the tequilla? or any old stuff will do?

Ok guys, thanks for all your replies.

Well I have had an electrician friend take a look and he reckons a full rewire is needed (though of course he'd say that). We talked about the design, and where I wanted everything and he's going to send me a quote.

Now on our first meeting I told the electrician that I would lay as much cable and do as much chasing as possible, and that I only wanted him to do the minimum that he legally has to. On his second visit he was talking about how he and his colleague would lay cable here, chase cable there. So I was like "Woah there, I told you I would lay cable, do chasing etc". He told me he should do it because he can get the materials cheaper, or I might make a mistake etc. I told him to give me one price for him doing the lot, and another price for me doing all the donkey work. He seemed reluctant to give me this second price TBH (I bet he doesn't).

Now maybe I'm being cynical, but I suspect he just wants to earn more money from the job, hence disuading me from doing the chasing and routing myself?

He has a point that a mistake may be made somewhere, but I plan on hiding the cable behind 2 inch deep skirting all round the perimeter of the flat, and just chasing up a few inches to the outlets. I would leave all this exposed (i.e. no skirting, or plaster on) for when he comes and does his bits, so any problems can immediately be identified as all wiring will be exposed and not hidden. I am a mechanical (defence) engineer by trade, and this would be far from beyond me.

My question is, on a rewire, what exactly is the minimum the electrican can do and still be able to certify a rewire? As this is what I want.

And secondly, what suppliers would you recommend for materials?

Thanks.

Well "friend of a friend" really.

Thanks for the character analysis anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back