Please recommend a bathroom fan that will help with condensation in flat

Sponsored Links
Standard tumble dryers create a massive amount of condensation, a condensing version may help. A cloths Boiler creates large amounts of condensation. An open vented heating system can also be a problem.
Dart

Standard tumble driers, you mean the ones with a duct blowing the steam outside the building, most often through a hole bored in the wall? No, they don't create "a massive amount of condensation." Or indeed a medium or a small amount.

A cloths boiler? What is that? My granny had a copper in the wash-house, but I have only seen one in museums lately.

An open-vented heating system? I think you don't know what that is.

Hi John D
You seam to have the answers no point on replying to your comments. I gather you are speaking from a fast amount of knowledge/experience.
What do you do for a living?.

Dart

Sponsored Links
unless there is a surprising hole in the bathroom wall, the replacement air will tend to come in through the gap under the bathroom door, from the rest of the house. So it will tend to be at room temperature.

Unless you are running steamy showers in the rest of the house, it will be much drier than the bathroom.

Ventilation using an extractor fan will take the excessive steamy air outside the house, which is what you want, and will reduce condensation in the bathroom.

During winter, the air that enters the house from outside will be cooler and will contain less water vapour than the air that is in the house, so it will keep the house drier than if you didn't ventilate.

Hi SHeds
My thoughts are along the lines of JohnD above

If it were 100% humidity outside, then a constant background ventilation would not be so desirable at that point. The again if there is a benefit on the majority of days then it would be better then having trapped circulation with risk of condensation every day.

These are my thoughts. Happy to hear other arguments.

Of course theory and practise are 2 different things and experience is the teacher. I'm open to that.

Even with 100% relative humidity outside, if the internal temperature is higher (e.g. on a cold foggy British morning) RH will drop when that cold damp air comes into a warm house.

Even with 100% relative humidity outside, if the internal temperature is higher (e.g. on a cold foggy British morning) RH will drop when that cold damp air comes into a warm house.
I see that

Tell you what - you go off and solve the problem of damp and mould, not by addressing any of the underlying causes but instead by replacing more of the air in the house with unconditioned air drawn from outside. I'm sure it will work just fine.

if the cause was a steamy bathroom which was not adequately ventilated, a fan would do just fine.

Hi JohnD
I am waiting for your reply what do you do for a living.

You are not a plumber or heating engineer, if you are over 21 I do not think you are in the Building trade.

Its possible you work in a shop selling electrical goods am I right ?.

Dart

Hi ban all sheds
Do I need to answer that, the forum is to help each other not try to score points.

Dart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back