Please recommend a suitable CCTV kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Im looking to upgrade my CCTV setup. Currently its a cheap DVR box with various different makes of camera all fed via coax cable.
What i'm ideally after is something with 5mp cameras which not only saves to the hard drive but alerts me on my phone (possibly alerting more than one number). Id prefer the cameras to come in a black colour. Pan tilt and zoom on all or some of the cameras would be a bonus.
Can anyone recommend a kit based on the above?
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Budget is under £500. Looking for an 8channel DVR box.
Thanks

Pan and tilt will set you back about £500 per camera for that feature and the quality you want so let’s rules them out. Would probably suggest hikvision PoC. You want a 8ch DVR with 8 cameras? If so you need to raise your budget a bit.

8 cheap cameras at £30 a pop no PTZ is £240, HDD (maybe able to use existing one short term depending on size) and then 8channel Turbo DVR you may be just around budget.

if your cables are good Coax then they wont need replacing, if they aren't then you may see some banding.

POC DVR TURBO 4 record 5MP at around 15fps and view about 30fps

how do you know what you need 8 cameras sound a lot for the average domestic home.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
PTZ is only worth the cost if you are going to be monitoring the video in real time.
You should select each camera's location and focal length according to the required view.
It's difficult for anyone to recommend a complete system when they can't see what you need.
When you have decided what you need, look at the Hikvision products. Avoid cheap packages from ebay which will be a waste of your money except perhaps as a temporary learning experience.

PTZ is only any good if your using to follow/ zoom in on subjects of interest (Sally's comment about real time, having smart PTZ costs more money), if the PTZ is on a patrol it can leave areas uncovered at various points.

ideally your static cameras cover the area you need monitoring and the PTZ does the zooming in and tracking.

As Sally points out, you are asking for a recommendation based on nothing more than number of units and your budget.
You need to ask the first question, which is what do I need the system to do.

Thanks for the replies so far.
We run a fairly low key storage business and have a couple of agricultural buildings that we need to keep secure. Vetted people come and go and I need to be able to see who is coming and going from my phone or at the very least a designated tablet. I was hoping to get the phone alert then PTZ in on the person (or their visitors, number plates etc). If the camera had good quality I guess the pan and tilt wouldnt be needed. Zoom would be nice but not essential if quality of picture is good. Ive heard hikvision is the stuff to go for. Is there a certain model number that ticks all the boxes im after? Id happily spend over £500 on the right setup but over the last few years the ebay stuff has become a pain in the bumarse.

Your missing the point completely

if you want anpr to read number plates and positioning is key.
If you are reading with a normal camera at night then be prepared not to read the plates.

As for the right cameras is not the resolution on its own that's the key. its the resolution at the distance away from the camera that you want to do a certain function.

ipvm calculator may help you work out what your looking for based on a google maps image of the property.

I've just picked up a Yale 1080p CCTV system which comes with 8 channels, 4 cameras, 4 x 15m cables a 2TB hard drive and a mouse. Can be viewed from mobile phone. The quality is great and everything cost £212 brand new. Highly recommended. No tilt/pan function but it has a tamper and blackout alarm which alerts your mobile phone.

eBay item number 183859533984

Its buy now or best offer, price is £239.99, I offered £200 first and the seller came down to £212.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back