Please recommend me a suitable hedge cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Laurel hedge and need to keep it in check. I don't want to use a chainsaw but something electric that will slice quickly through the branches.

I'm fed up of using sacateurs hedge clippers. I've included some pictures (taken from the house)

All helpful comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240222_172837.jpg
    20240222_172837.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240222_172830.jpg
    20240222_172830.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240222_172818.jpg
    20240222_172818.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Bosch do a lot of battery garden tools, not cheap but no cable and very portable.

Think you might be surprised, says it will cut 20mm.. I suggest if you do buy one, to get from somewhere like ffx. and then buy an 8ah pro core battery to go with it.

Sponsored Links
I got the kit done in Aldi (petrol) and then the kit done in Lidi (battery) both on a long pole, both have a short chain saw and a hedge cutter, the Lidi one had two types of grass cutters the strimmer and blade, the Aldi has a blower found both good, but the battery one is lighter seems just as strong as the petrol one, got 4 batteries it uses 2 at a time, and charger takes an hour to recharge a pair, and the strimmer will flatten a pair in an hour, so no real limit.

Both are unwieldy being on end of pole, but can cut hedge without a ladder, the old Aldi hedge cutter electric mains is easier with low stuff, but getting cables out is a pain, so tend to use the one on pole for all, with strimmer attachment needs the harness which came with both, but cutting hedge it does not really carry the weight.

The chain saws are called a lopper, and are too small to cut down large trees, but work well with thick branches. The petrol does start easy, but the weight is the problem, and going to get two stroke. So now I have the battery one, the petrol one is hardly used.

In my experience hedge trimmers won’t cut bigger branches very even if they have the theoretical capacity to do it.

What I find happens is the thicker branches are hippy and they thrash around when the hedge trimmer gets them rather than cuts through

Depends on budget. If low, get a basic corded one from Argos, B&Q etc.
Petrol is too much hassle for a couple of trims a year.
I'll second the battery recommendation if you want to spend a bit extra.
Stihl do a budget range of hedge trimmers, available as a kit with the battery.

If you have any existing battery tools, see if the manufacturer does a hedge trimmer in their range.
I've used Metabo and DeWalt 18v hedge trimmers, both are decent for domestic DIY jobs.
Or look at Ryobi one plus.

This'll gnaw through 50mm, anything bigger consider a small electric chainsaw:

1708766475540.png

i have a huge long very old lylandi run at the bottom of my garden about 10ft tall and i use a Stihl extendable battery hedge trimmer - very expensive - but we have another 4 large long hedges in the back garden - and in front garden a couple of different hedges all down the side of the house and front
so was worth it , as we had gone through 3 cheap models in the 4 years , and its been excellent , but was on backorder for months and as i say expensive - but i only wanted to buy once and make it easy to use without ladders or minimum use of ladders

We got a Stihl HSA 56 Cordless Hedge Trimmer a few months ago. A little under £150. Works very well, including most branches except the thickest.

Makita do a cheap fairly feeble 18 volt cordless which is fine for privet etc. But the brushless 3 speed models are pretty awesome.

That should really be qualified with an actual dimension as it's not very meaningful otherwise
Of course. Unfortunately, I haven't done a scientific gaugeable survey. Perhaps there may be some numerical information on their adverts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back