Pleasr Help - cracks in loft room wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

please can someone help me,

my son has just bought a house which was built in 1900, and has two loft rooms as standard,

the house was survey and all was mentioned was the electrics may need updating, small damp issue and house suffered from subsidence in the past but this has now stopped.

but since picking the key, and we have gone into the loft room and noticed two vertical cracks, starting from the centre of the wall and going down, behind the skirting board,

i dont think its come all the way down as the room below has no crack but then again the wall is wallpapered.

please look at the pics and advice me if it is a serious thing or just a plastering job?

also can i make an issue with the bank who done the survey?

View media item 50746 View media item 50747 View media item 50748
thankyou for your help.

i have ripped some of the wallpaer off so you can see crack, i have pulled out some of the loose pieces from the wall, it looks like plasterboard but behind there you can see bricks and its looks as the brick is cracked.

Sponsored Links
Old houses get cracks all the time. Just fill it with pollyfilla and forget about it.

You don't say where these cracks are in context of the rest of the house ... inside partition, party wall, external wall?

hi, thankyou all for your responses.

i dont know how to describe what type of wall it is,

so i have uploaded a picture of the room, the red arrow points to where the cracks are,

the other side of that wall is the neighbours house, it a semi detached.

its the View media item 50760
thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's a problem really, just fill them and decorate.

As has previously been said, old houses get cracks and 99% of the time it is nothing to worry about.

thanks for the response,

i seriousally hope it is just a crack, but the size of them worries me a little,

googling this, it says it can be subsidence or something similar

or something simple like a plasterboard but you can see a crack in the brick behind the board.

so still unsure

any further help would be appreciated.

It's not the place where a subsidence crack is likely to occur. You have not shown a chimney on that wall, is there one, or was there one?

Otherwise it may just be a plaster crack.

If it was subsidence there would be a crack on the neighbours side too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back