Plinth heater connection query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plinth heater will fit under a normal base unit. There will be a FCU next to a double socket above the worktop, which takes a 1.5mm T+E to under the base unit.
What's the best way to connect the flex in the heater to the T+E? Or should I use longer T+E and connect this directly into the heater?
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
You could use a flex outlet plate below the worktop, use this to join the flex to the T+E.

Would that be fixed into the back of the base unit? Presumably the connection should be accessible?

If its a flex outlet plate then its got screw connections behind the plate = you need to be able to access it...

Put it in the cupboard above the heater

Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC, I can see that's the way it should be done....
But wouldn't it actually be more practical to use one of those "inline" junction boxes and just lay it under the base unit and next to the heater? Where it can easily be accessed behind the plinth?
Is there any reason why it mustn't be done like this?
Thanks again.

There's no reason, Reggie, why you shouldn't use a joint box behind the plinth - being as it is, accessible.

I don't like using the normal junction boxes to join flex and a solid conductor - you don't always get a good join with the two under a single screw. Nothing to stop you using a flex outlet plate as long as it is accessable, or use a chockbox.

Oh come come! 123: Surely you trust yourself to join a bit of flex to a solid conductor in a standard JB? It's a simple commonsense matter of placing the solid conductor above the flex. Why create obstacles for such a simple connection? The O/P simply wants to place this joint in a clearly accessible position alongside the heater behind a removable plinth.......

Thanks all, I think I meant a "chockbox" in the first place. But I didn't know about laying one on top of the other - how does that work then? Do all flex outlet plates and chockboxes have double screws?

Standard terminal box has no strain relief for the cable, Unless you were going to cleat it to the floor ;)

Chocbox or similar would be OK.

put a single soclet and plug it in..

that way when it messes up you can swap it out easier...

Oh come come! 123: Surely you trust yourself to join a bit of flex to a solid conductor in a standard JB? It's a simple commonsense matter of placing the solid conductor above the flex. Why create obstacles for such a simple connection? The O/P simply wants to place this joint in a clearly accessible position alongside the heater behind a removable plinth.......

I might trust myself to do it, however wether or not I'd advise anyone else to do it is another matter. I'd probably double the flex over to make widen the contact area too, depends on the junction box in question.
Sadly, common sense appears to have died a long time ago! ;) Dunno if I'd class that as common sense either - more to do with training.
Better under 2 separate terminals then there's less chance of doing it wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back