Cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring a new built under oven to an existing wall connection point under the worktop. The oven is rated at 4500W max. Can I use 2.5mm T&E? Can a regular round equipment cable be used or must it be T&E?
The circuit beyond the wall point is back to a 30A breaker in the consumer unit via a double pole switch above the worktop.

BTW, is this job notifiable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you knwo what that 30A fuse is for? It is to protect the cable that goes from the fuseboard all of the way to the cooker itself.

If you install 2.5mm T&E and (as its behind the cooker) it melts there will be a short circuit. 2.5mm T&E is rated at less than 30A so it will probably catch fire.

So, do you think that 2.5mm T&E is a good idea?

What to the M.I.s say. I bet they specify heat resistant cable.??

I suggest you use this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4TQ3slash50.html

Heat resist and good for more than 30A. TLC sell it by the metre - or from your local friendly electrical distributor.

Part P? You are replacing old for new, so no.

Thanks TCC. It did cross my mind about the fault condition as I was writing the post, so I pretty much new what would be said about the cable melting before the breaker popped. Thanks for the cable suggestion - just the job.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back