PLS Help, stuck skirting using Unibond MegaGrip big prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i used Unibond mega grip to fix my skirintg, in most places infact all places except one wall the skirting is fine. This one wall, the skirting has pulled away, can someone offer some advice please. I dont know why its done this, helllppp

Sponsored Links
Can you get some more mega grip in the gap? Then wedge it in place, otherwise drill screw & fill or mail & fill

yes matey i have done that too, seemed to have worked for a day and its pulled apart again

Also ive realised its pulled away the paint behind the skirting. Is it possible that the paint has caught the moister and pulled away. But then you would expect this to happen everywhere else.

Another point to note is that the skirting has come away on the outside walls i.e. walls that have studs and those that are adjoining the building next door are fine.

Also do you think it would be ok to drill through the skirting and into the masonary rather than remove the skirting and drill holes. Im going to have to filler anyway, what do you think,

thanks

The adhesive has pulled the paint off, so the adhesive worked.
Yes drill through the skirting, sill taking it off if most of it has stuck

Sponsored Links
You know any reason as to why this would have happened matey

probably because you stuck it to the paint and not the wall.

yeh that is pretty much correct but the thing is i was told to paint the walss and fix the skirting

However, in the other places where i mention that the skirting is fine, they are also stuck in a similar fasion but the walls are stud walls

kilo - the strength of any bond is not the bonding-agent itself but what it's bonded to, in your case paint. So you're relying on the bond between the paint and the wall which, in your case, is insufficient to resist the possible bowing (however slight) or spring of the skirting. Uneven walls or a bow in a skirting board means you should incorporate some mechnical fixings (often temporary) until any adhesives set. This of course pre-supposes that you've got a good adhesive bond (see above).

If you can't push your skirting tight to the wall 'cos the glue's gone hard then you'll have to remove the skirting, clean-off the dry adhesive, then re-install as above.

Symptoms, this is the thing though. When I initially fixed the skirting, it was fine, even the bow effect of the skirting would not pull the skirting away. It is after two days the skirting has pulled away.

Now like i said, where the walls are stud the skirting is fixed on solid, not even a small patch where the skirting has pulled away and this was also stuck to the "paint". Or could it be that bare plasterboard walls take the paint in so much that the paint pretty much becomes part of the wall unlike plastered walls where the paint is like a vinyl layer on top?

kilo - I don't know what sort of paint you used on the solid wall and what you painted over (new plaster, old plaster, previously painted, wallpaper) and if you primed the plasterboard. How the paint has set will also affect it adhesion and as this is a masonary wall maybe there's a moisture issue. Have you got a moisture meter? Why don't you just fix it ONLY with screws (brass maybe) on this wall and just not rely on the sticky stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back