Skirting Board - hidden screws

Probably a bit late with this post but will give advice anyway. First, do not use steel screws in oak - they will stain blue - use brass. Secondly, if you have a very sharp 1/2" chisel, it is possible to lift a small flap of timber, drill. countersink and screw, glue back the flap. Sand flush, or use a cabinet scraper, and it will be invisible.

Wow - now that would have been a great idea. Although I am pretty sure if I tried then chunks of the skirting will go missing).

The plugs are in. I just need to trim them to a sandable size now.

As for the screws. Now you may laugh but I have used 2.5" (60mm) (SIZE 10) - Twin threaded - countersunk head - hardened zinc plated.

These are countersunk about 4mm and will be plugged. Am I going to get blue stains ?

Sponsored Links
I think it's highly unlikely that you'd get any visible staining, using passivated screws in plugged counterbores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back