plug in mcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am going to replace my rewirable fuses with plug in mcb's, (which i already have) but for 2 of them, i need to change the base. Is it safe to do this myself by just turning off the power? Or will there still be electricity running to the fuse board? Do i need to get a sparky to pull the service fuse and install them for me?

Thanks for any info

DF

Sponsored Links
you should be able to change the bases without removing the main cover of the fusebox and it should be perfectly safe to do this with the main switch on the fusebox off.

i would caution against remove the main cover of an old wylex fusebox though unless you know what you are doing or have had it off before though. while the incoming mains connections should be covered there is quite a high chance they won't be and those fuseboxes (at least the plastic ones) are extremely cramped inside.

Thanks very much for the information, i will venture forth, i might sit on a rubber sheet just in case(!)

DF

Sponsored Links
Plug in MCBs are a pain, they are low quality, low tech and prone to failure.

The best course of action is to replace the Consumer Unit for one which has DIN rail mounted MCB's fed from a common bus-bar

One snag though, you have the hassle and costs of notifying Building Control under Part P, if you replace your fuse box on a DIY basis.

kai said:
One snag though, you have the hassle and costs of notifying Building Control under Part P, if you replace your fuse box on a DIY basis.
Who is to say it was not done before part P came into effect

kevplumb said:
howay guys you'll have us corgi's failing to notify next :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
do building control konw what they are doing yet with regaurds to part p

theshogun said:
do building control konw what they are doing yet with regaurds to part p

It would appear to vary from Council to Council, some have grasped this very quickly and set themselves up to deal with the new legislation, however some have hardly acknowledged it's existance. Like many things in this country today, it is a hit and miss affair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back