Plug in Oven in New Zealand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a single fan oven - 2350w and 230v - that we want to use.
In the UK this would have been ok plugged in to a socket with a 13amp fuse.
Here i'm not so sure.
This is an older house with radial circuits and 15amp fuses at the CU. Can this plug in safely here while we renovate the kitchen?

There is an oven point with a 30amp fuse that we will be using when the kitchen is renovated. What is the wattage we should be looking at when buying hob and oven to go on this circuit? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
2350 watts @ 230v = 10 (close enough) amps so yes you can (so long as you are allowed to, you cant do that in Australia due to local regulations, may be same in NZ?)

Thanks so much for that!

While your still listening could you tell us whether it's possible to have a socket added to the 30amp cooker circuit that would power a dishwasher?
The cooker circuit will be drawing 5.8kw tops from the oven.

Could this be 'joined in' with junction boxes or will I need to get the electrician to supply a new feed back to the CU? (there's no other power cables nearby)

Trying to get some idea of work involved before committing :LOL:

Sponsored Links
On a related subject do you know how far from the isolating switch the cooker can be? I've got a feeling it's no more 2 metres and no closer than 300mm?

The current cable is about 1.5m long outside of the wall and in a metal flexible casing. I would like this inside the cavity of the wall ideally. Can a new section be added at the DP switch?

Your'e up late?!

you would be right if you were here, but as you are not i have no idea :cry:

i suggest you check with a local electrician, as i mentioned earlier, i know that in Oz you cant even think about what you are doing,.
In America it varies from state to state.

which is also why electrics out side the uk gets few replies becuse we genuinely do not know.

good luck

Back