plug socket sited directly behind built in cooker/microwave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , finally got round to having a new kitchen and after having some extra new sockets and walls replastered realised my oven/microwave housing unit stands directly in front of the sockets that were put in for these appliances (single oven and combination microwave) both of these appliances have normal plugs but i'm having sleepless nights worrying if the heat from these when on will be a fire hazard with the plugs so close.found the instruction book not to helpful. really not sure if i should pull out the kitchen units (all been secured to the walls and each other!)and get the double plug socket repositioned. advice please :confused:

Sponsored Links
it will not be a fire hazard. unless your appliance catches fire it will be unlikely to get as hot as a radiator, and will only be hot for an hour or so a day.

The warmth will reduce the life of the PVC insulation, but not enough to worry about (something like 20 years instead of 40) - someone will have the table)

However:
Any appliance, especially a cooker ( and more especially a hob) ought to have a readily-accessible switch to turn it off in the event of an emergency (such as a chip fire or a fault) and also so it can be made safe before servicing. It is usual to have such a switch to the side of a cooker by a foot or so , so that you will not have to reach through the flames :eek: to turn it off.

thankyou john. should sleep better tonight now! there is a fused switch that is accessible that isolates this socket so wont need to get my hands burnt to turn them off! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back