Plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a wall plastered and he has put plaster board on. Done a great job but went to put the plug socket back into the wall and it won't fit. The plug socket is flush to the new wall but the pins/screws are not long enough to go back to screw into the metal back plate. Please tell me what they are called so that I can buy longer ones. When I search plug screws it just brings up those plastic wall plugs

Sponsored Links
I think these are what you are looking for. Screws are specified by diameter and length. You can buy smaller quantities, and shorter lengths, this is just an example. They are often referred to as faceplate screws, or pattress screws

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be, before somebody says.......
If you're talking about "plug socket", then I personally don't have a particular problem with it. "Socket" alone is theoretically very ambiguous - it could mean "hex socket", "Torx socket", "Soil pipe socket", "Prosthetic limb socket" or any of countless other things.

This is totally different from "plug top", which is simply nonsensical, and I cannot imagine how it arose!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
'Plug Top' was the expression we were taught when I was in college in the 1980's. In fact we were corrected by the tutors for using any other expression to describe one, so it's been around for a while. Don't know where it originated though. We were not allowed to use the term 'Bulbs' either. They had to be 'Lamps' because bulbs are what you put in the garden.

'Plug Top' was the expression we were taught when I was in college in the 1980's. In fact we were corrected by the tutors for using any other expression to describe one,
That's ridiculous - and worrying.

Why, then, are the teachers not called 'Tutor tops'?

We were not allowed to use the term 'Bulbs' either. They had to be 'Lamps' because bulbs are what you put in the garden.
I too use the term lamp because not all lamps are bulbous - but some are, especially the first ones so that is understandable.

I'm all for accuracy (and some may say pedantry) but some terms and descriptions defy the language and all logic.

Is it only the 13A plugs which are called plug tops or does it apply to any form of plug?

What were the other expressions which were not allowed?

'Plug Top' was the expression we were taught when I was in college in the 1980's. In fact we were corrected by the tutors for using any other expression to describe one, so it's been around for a while. Don't know where it originated though.
It makes so little sense that it's hard to see how it cold possibly have originated!
We were not allowed to use the term 'Bulbs' either. They had to be 'Lamps' because bulbs are what you put in the garden.
Try telling that to the staff in the shop when you get a funny look after asking for "a headlamp lamp" for your car or a "lamp for your (table/standard/whatever) lamp" :) Just because many of the products ceased to have the shape that they originally had (like a 'garden bulb') doesn't mean that the word had to be changed - there are countless examples of words which have remained the same despite technological/whatever advances/evolution which have obscured the origin of the word!

Kind Regards, John

Is it only the 13A plugs which are called plug tops or does it apply to any form of plug?
ex=CEF ...
upload_2016-12-21_15-35-45.png

... and countless other examples!

Kind Regards, John

I thought we got to the bottom of this recently? I can't remember who said it, but isn't just this part the "plug top"

plugtop2.jpg

So, ELFI, any plug which separates in this fashion has a plug top.

Transformer :LOL:
Maybe - although, as I always say, that is a bit different because the things "which used to be called transformers" still exist alongside the different things which now get called "transformers".

In a different field, we still see the word 'inoculation' being used in relation to vaccines, despite the fact that (as we can be thankful for :) ) it was only for a very brief period in the earliest days of vaccines that they were administered by injection into the eye!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back