Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at my washing machine plug and for some reason it has burnt spots. There are melt spots around the plug. I was also getting a burning smell. Turned it off.

How come this happened?

Attachments

• 946003BB-6BC9-47CD-8C5B-257156DEDB11.jpeg
    946003BB-6BC9-47CD-8C5B-257156DEDB11.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Probably the clips that should hold the fuse being a bit loose, giving a bad connection. This causes heat, which makes them looser, so more heat etc.

The cure is obvious, a new plug and probably socket as well. Fit something decent like an MK or Crabtree plug and socket, not a B&Q 99p cheapie, to avoid a repeat performance.

Cut back the flex a couple of inches if possible to give new, clean copper to remake the connections onto.

HTH

Cheers,
Colin

Probably the clips that should hold the fuse being a bit loose, giving a bad connection. This causes heat, which makes them looser, so more heat etc.

The cure is obvious, a new plug and probably socket as well. Fit something decent like an MK or Crabtree plug and socket, not a B&Q 99p cheapie, to avoid a repeat performance.

Cut back the flex a couple of inches if possible to give new, clean copper to remake the connections onto.

HTH

Cheers,
Colin
The socket does have a slight crack on it.

Also can you link me a good three pin uk plug? On amazon

The socket does have a slight crack on it.

That is what happens when they suffer overheating damage. You must change the socket as well

Also can you link me a good three pin uk plug? On amazon

Sponsored Links
Nice !!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 14-06-06 Masterplug HDPT13B-MP Heavy Duty 13 Amp Rewireable Plug 57.5...png
    Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 14-06-06 Masterplug HDPT13B-MP Heavy Duty 13 Amp Rewireable Plug 57.5...png
    892.1 KB · Views: 68
Other than the conductors are not then identified correctly, does it really matter?

The fuse is still in the line conductor.

Other than the conductors are not then identified correctly, does it really matter?
Perhaps not - but if the colours of the conductors correctly reflect 'the understanding of' the equipment being supplied, then, for example, any fuses within the equipment might be in the neutral...
The fuse is still in the line conductor.
The fuse we can see almost certainly is - but see above..

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps not - but if the colours of the conductors correctly reflect 'the understanding of' the equipment being supplied, then, for example, any fuses within the equipment might be in the neutral...
Does that matter inside equipment? Many internal switches are on the neutral.

OR

See the rest of the world.

Does that matter inside equipment? Many internal switches are on the neutral.
It may well not. However, if an L-E fault develops within the equipment, then a fuse in the neutral will do nothing to protect the equipment (assuming that the presence of an internal fuse indicates that such protection was deemed necessary/desirable).
OR .... See the rest of the world.
Yes, things are different in much of the rest of the world.

Kind Regards, John

Is that not why we originally had BSI instead of the silly CE cr4p where any Tom Dick or Harry felt free to mark equipment such

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back