Plugs to use for fitting high level large kitchen cabinet to plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ikea cupboard so comes with a fitting rail.

BUT what is the best plug to use for fitting this to plasterboard wall? In the past, I've used the white plastic polytoggle type. Never really got on with the metal ones.

Would these be adequate though or should I be using the metal ones? What would a proper kitchen fitter use?

Sponsored Links
A few points to consider:
Can you locate any timber studs, behind the plasterboard, to screw into?
Could you drill straight through the plasterboard and into any masonry behind, and then use longer plugs / screws?
Could the cupboard stand on a timber bearer, if need be?
Use metal hollow wall fixings, and use the setting tool for best results.
John :)

A few points to consider:
Can you locate any timber studs, behind the plasterboard, to screw into?
Could you drill straight through the plasterboard and into any masonry behind, and then use longer plugs / screws?
Could the cupboard stand on a timber bearer, if need be?
Use metal hollow wall fixings, and use the setting tool for best results.

Cheers John. I guess timber studs might be a plan. Its a partition wall so I dont think any masonry behind it.

Timber bearer - you mean like a support?

I don't like the idea of the cupboard held up by plasterboard fixings alone, but it's a different matter if you can hit a vertical stud or two!
A bearer is indeed something just to help bear the weight of the cupboard from the bottom.....even tiles work well enough here.

Sponsored Links
If there are no studs in the right place, you can use Cabinet Hanging Rail, which the hooks of the adjustable hangers fit. It is a splendid invention, you can shuffle the cabinets sideways along it if you decide to reposition them, and very strong, since you can use multiple screws if necessary. Paint it to match the wall.

If there are no studs in the right place, you can use Cabinet Hanging Rail, which the hooks of the adjustable hangers fit. It is a splendid invention, you can shuffle the cabinets sideways along it if you decide to reposition them, and very strong, since you can use multiple screws if necessary. Paint it to match the wall.

Ah yes. Cupboard is from Ikea and I've got a rail with it. So I guess easier to screw into a stud somewhere.

I don't like the idea of the cupboard held up by plasterboard fixings alone, but it's a different matter if you can hit a vertical stud or two!
A bearer is indeed something just to help bear the weight of the cupboard from the bottom.....even tiles work well enough here.

Yes I know what you mean. Stud it is with the rail. I take it no issues if is screwed into the wooden stud then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back