Plumber done a runner/ Need to DIY whats left of bathroom

12mm seems to be holding up fine. Although i did make a considerable effort to nail the existing floor boards down solid and even screwed quite a few of those in as well.

I did another small wall of tiling last night, so its getting there bit at a time, seems to take me an hour to cover a m sq.

I`m sure i`ll make some mistakes but its quite enjoyable doing stuff like this, plus my tiling seems to be a lot neater than the guy i was using. I hate paying people to do jobs i can (probably why i service and repair our own cars as well!!)

still need to get our shower head and house keys off the robbing scum who was doing the work(£130 ish S head) and i reckon he still owes me about £300 in labour/plumbing. I think my wheel clamp will be finding its way onto his van in the middle of the night, once i have my keys back, or change the locks that is!!

Its annoying doing the work, but its nice knowing that you did it.

I think you mean save money for the other 20k of work that the house needs, or the ever expanding wedding budget for this july!!

my poor car needs some oil seals changing, and i dont have the time to DIY, or the money to send to a garage!

Sponsored Links
Tozzy said:
Well, secured floorboards with 12mm ply screwed at 200mm ish centres, coupled wil BAL single part flex seems to have done the trick.

I thought the golden rule was to use 18mm ply prior to tiling over, not any less?

lol let's hope you don't have to rip it all back up again alex :confused: :confused:. Personally, I don't see why you would have to use 18mm. So what, it's a couple of mm less.
Let's get this clear chaps. 12mm is for when you are overboarding floorboards. 18mm is when you are replacing the floorboards and is an absolute minimum, 25mm is better but obviously more expensive. You can generally get away with overboarding with 9mm if the floorboards are reasonably good, but as I can't assess what condition the flooring is in I recommend using 12mm to be on the safe side.

gcol said:
Let's get this clear chaps. 12mm is for when you are overboarding floorboards. 18mm is when you are replacing the floorboards and is an absolute minimum, 25mm is better but obviously more expensive. You can generally get away with overboarding with 9mm if the floorboards are reasonably good, but as I can't assess what condition the flooring is in I recommend using 12mm to be on the safe side.

Hi gcol,

Thanks very much for posting that - it's ended a bit of confusion for me :) I'd not seen anywhere specifying this so clearly - looks like I'll be fine with 12mm over my floorboards. I've just taken up the same size tiles as I'm going to put down and the only thing between them and the floorboards was some 3mm ish ply but the tiles were fine with no cracked grout.

Thanks!

Just remember to screw the ply down every 200mm (all over the sheets - not just the edges). Use screws that are long enough so that they get a good grip into the floorboards but not too long that they come out the other side of the floorboard or you risk piercing a pipe or cable.
Screw in the screws so that the heads are a touch under the surface of the ply.
And make sure your cordless drill is fully charged cause putting all these screws in is gonna knock the a r s e out of it.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back