Plumber said my Vaillant wiring was beyond him & he couldnt install my Hive ????

I have the VR66 and looked into getting a Hive.

Looking at the Hive website it says that it isn't compatible with the VR65 (which is the same as the VR66 really) and was told I would need to completely decommission the wiring centre and start again
oh god I hope not - what do you reckon Ian ???

Sponsored Links
and was told I would need to completely decommission the wiring centre and start again
Yes, that was the assumption I had made from the OP.
oh god I hope not - what do you reckon Ian ???
AHH, I had made the wrong assumption!

It really isn't anything to worry about. The Hive is doing all the work of the control centre (the VR65 will be redundant after the hive install), you just have to make the right connections, which Ian has suggested.

From Hive website:

Attachments

• FC711B74-771D-4C33-9BC5-E1C2F412A148.jpeg
    FC711B74-771D-4C33-9BC5-E1C2F412A148.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
ok so Ian, final question I promise :) when you say I can 'just leave the wires' going to the cylinder stat, do you mean i just sheath them off safely and not connect them to anything at the Hive (& not to each other either) and just leave the other end of them connected as they are at the stat

Many thanks again for your help on this

I have the VR66 and looked into getting a Hive.

Looking at the Hive website it says that it isn't compatible with the VR65 (which is the same as the VR66 really) and was told I would need to completely decommission the wiring centre and start again
yes you can use the hive, but you need to remove the existing control, not a hard job to do, what they mean is you cant have both connected at the same time

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
ok so Ian, final question I promise :) when you say I can 'just leave the wires' going to the cylinder stat, do you mean i just sheath them off safely and not connect them to anything at the Hive (& not to each other either) and just leave the other end of them connected as they are at the stat

Many thanks again for your help on this
just leave them connected as they are, if when you fit the hive if the hw isnt working come back to me and I will tell you how to overcome it

ohhh, so Ive just realised you're saying leave this wiring centre box in place and run a few cables from it to my Hive box. I always assumed we were removing this wiring centre box altogether and replacing with the new Hive box

Im going to have a go at doing this myself tonight dagger based on Ian’s really helpful advice. Let me know how you get on!

I will, but Im still a little bit confused as to whether I should be removing this wiring centre box completely and using the Hive box instead based on Ians instructions or whether I'm keeping this box in situ and running a few cables from my hive box TO this - I only say this as Ian says leave my stat cylinder wires as they are (which I cant do if I'm removing the original box) - Im so close :LOL:

I will, but Im still a little bit confused as to whether I should be removing this wiring centre box completely and using the Hive box instead based on Ians instructions or whether I'm keeping this box in situ and running a few cables from my hive box TO this - I only say this as Ian says leave my stat cylinder wires as they are (which I cant do if I'm removing the original box) - Im so close :LOL:
Yes, remove the VR65!
If you want to include the cylinder stat (probably a good idea!), this should be connected in series with the 'hot water on' of the Hive i.e. one wire from the cylinder stat should connect to hive hot water on, the other wire from the stat should be connected with a terminal block to the red 'DHW on' wire to the boiler.
Connect the other wires as per suggestions above.
If the Hive backplate gets a little chocca with wires, you could consider using a small wiring centre, such as:
just to make life easier! :)

Last edited:
lol - the VR65 is not the box in my original picture, it is the Vaillant wiring centre which is mounted on the wall near my boiler. The VR65 is a completely different small box and is just what the householder uses to turn the heating up et. I thought I had it clear in my head earlier but now Im not so sure :)

lol - the VR65 is not the box in my original picture, it is the Vaillant wiring centre which is mounted on the wall near my boiler. The VR65 is a completely different small box and is just what the householder uses to turn the heating up et. I thought I had it clear in my head earlier but now Im not so sure :)
Ok, this might be an explanation for my confusion at least! :)
I will leave it to the experts then, but here is the manual for the "Vaillant VR65 control center":

Attachments

• control-center-vr-65-installation-instructions-261442.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 113
@ianmcd please can you give me final pointer so I can proceed - much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back