Plumber taking the mickey

8) If your really really desperate you could put some leak sealer in, not everbody likes or loves it, and i`m sure there will be a few on here going tut tut, but it is the last option I would use if unable to trace the leak. i have done it before but only as a last resort. and I`m sure I`l do it one day and have it bite me on the backside but it`s there to be used if deperate.

Sponsored Links
kingston said:
The model is a Baxi 105HE condensing combi boiler, the pressure drop is not sudden, takes maybe a week for the pressure to drop below from 1.5 to zero.

And yes I did pay cash.

oh dear oh dear oh dear

so you had a person rip you off big time, or did he knock off 23% that he would have paid to the revenue (bet he didnt) as well as the vat.

also you had a bloke working on gas in your house with NO public liability (which will only pay out for invoiced and declared work)

No such thing as a free lunch, bet this is going to cost you loads and loads
as oilman says you have commited a criminal (and now arrestable) offence

as for leak sealer good luck with a bad leak, works ok on weeps.

you should change the name of your post to

client taking the mickey

kingston said:
Basically I had a combi boiler installed it hasn't worked properly, do I put this down to experience that the guy is a cowboy or is there another avenue I can take?
The way the other guys have posted....it looks like the Avenue you want is the A22 from the M25.straight down to Beachy head :eek: PS. Pierrot.tut tut

it is possible that if it is a tiny leak then a dose of leak sealer may fix it..

Wouldnt recomend leak sealer in a sealed system. Has been known to block up the AAV.
Best to do a T&R.
Sorry Elite

Sponsored Links
ItsOverFlo said:
Wouldnt recomend leak sealer in a sealed system. Has been known to block up the AAV.

Reaching the ripe old age of 1 year seems to be enough to block most aav's :) ...try some leak sealer it has got me out of a few situations after all a week to drop 1.5 bar of pressure isn't a massive leak.

The guy is Corgi registered, I saw his card and also he had done a bit of work on a neighbours house, thats where I got his number. I don't know what a benchmark certificate is and I haven't got anything back from corgi regarding the installation of the boiler. I have a feeling that he hasn't sent the thing to corgi so there is no trace of him putting in the boiler if the inland revenue catch up with him. Do I need this certificate for future reference?

I didn't know that he was using me for his holiday money or whatever he wanted it for, naive in hindsight.

I know some of you are thinking that I tried to get this done on the cheap or whatever but i didn't, went through the proper channels, plumber recommended by someone, I knew he had to be corgi registered, however he didn't explain to me anything of what you guys have said, like the system needed to be flushed or there could be a pressure leak and if there was the external pipes would not be in with the price, I would've been fine with that, but he never, he took his money and now doesn't want to know.

I have lived in the house about a year and this is the first time I have had any bother with a tradesman. Like any homeowner I rely on the tradesmans knowledge and skill, if you come round to my house and spout a load of bullshit how am I to know if its the wrong procedure or he's not telling me the right information, knowing what I know now, I will be more cautious in future, like you said, it's a lesson learned, the hard way.

Anyway, cheers for the information and help, much appreciated

Fair point, you should expect good advice and not a load of poo. Your invoice is also your guarantee under the UK laws for sale of goods and services. Make sure you get one for future jobs.

Ok i am sorry thought you were yet another johnny cheap job.

as oilman says you are buggered.

sorry for being harsh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back