Plumbers earnings

Sponsored Links
You gas fitters should make a killing whilst you can. There's a trend going on:

The government has allowed immigrants to flood the labour market and even though they aren't CORGI - it'll still affect you.

The building game is flooded with cheap labour. The builders have to add a string to their bow to make a living, so they become plumbers too. Plumbers feel the pinch and need a new string to their bow so they train to be gas fitters. Naturally, a glut in gas fitters will force down job prices.

If any economy is flooded with migrant workers then two things will happen:

Earnings will fall. Mortgage costs and rents will rise due to housing the new workforce creating a shortage.

Will you still be in business five years from now?

joe-90 said:
The builders have to add a string to their bow to make a living, so they become plumbers too.
rolling-on-the-floor.gif
rolling-on-the-floor.gif
rolling-on-the-floor.gif
rolling-on-the-floor.gif

Have you seen the plumbing that builders do? It actually creates work for real plumbers, 'cos there are more cock-ups to fix. :rolleyes:

People don't want 'real' plumbers - they want cheap and cheerful.

Sponsored Links
I find the opposite to be true, so I surmise that both types of customer must exist.

The general trend is for gas fitters to quit gas and just do plumbing. Most are fed up with the ever increasing regualtions imposed upon them.

Luckily for me I never compete on price, only quality of work and boilers specified.

200 Is not excesive because he has tax off of this, allow for holidays, van , insurances,tools etc etc etc by time everything allowed for its prob only 120/130... People think whatever we charge is straight profit its not

So does the rest of us

Zampa said:
So does the rest of us
Not those who are employees (i.e. not business owners).

Are you being picky again.. ;)...and just piping up cos hes a plumber...he was refering to someone who was self employed

However, that said..one thing a lot of people seem to forget when they talk about plumbers wages is the high cost of the courses they have to attend just to be able to trade.

Although its a shame that the rest of the trade doesnt follow this example and make people who want to remain self employed pass a regualr skills test of some sorts.

And not just insist on a half baked scheme like the c.s.c.s as an indication of ability...it isnt its about health and safety, which im all for if it wasnt for the fact that the questions are mostly irrelevent to the trade of the person taking it.

Zampa said:
Are you being picky again.. ;)
Picky? Moi?

...and just piping up cos hes a plumber...
No - I "piped up" as far back as page 1.

However, that said..one thing a lot of people seem to forget when they talk about plumbers wages is the high cost of the courses they have to attend just to be able to trade.

That's a complete myth. Or are you thinking of RGIs?

Although its a shame that the rest of the trade doesnt follow this example and make people who want to remain self employed pass a regualr skills test of some sorts.
Er, there are no mandatory general plumbing qualifications, and the optional ones are not held in high regard, despite the earnest wishes of those who hold them. ;)

Quote:

That's a complete myth. Or are you thinking of RGIs?

Quote:

Er, there are no mandatory general plumbing qualifications, and the optional ones are not held in high regard, despite the earnest wishes of those who hold them.
No I was thinking on the lines of ACs the old A.C.O.P.S...have they changed them again to RGI's?...

You right, they are not mandatory as such, there are plenty of plumbers out there who just do cold water instalations..service pipes etcs, who dont bother with gas...there are, as im sure you know also plenty who do the gas work and then get a registered plumber to comission it

And then theres the ones who do it all anyway and dont let little things like corgi registration stand in their way.

The government have tried to pilot a few quality mark schemes for the industry over the years..none have worked and normally involve the tradesman having to fork out a few hundred to join it.

Remember BS5750?

o what I was saying is the scheme Corgi oversees is probably far from perfect and free from abuse but its a start.

Going self employed should at least involve taking your insurance details with you when you apply and...you should have to have some form of formal qualification.

Yes...theres the arguement about there being plenty of good tradesman out there without qualifications and plenty of crap ones with qualifications

But its a start.

errr... what was the Op question again? Oh B***er.

Anyway, I'm sure this is off the point but gas4you is right...

'The general trend is for gas fitters to quit gas and just do plumbing. Most are fed up with the ever increasing regualtions imposed upon them'.

I've got my CEN1, WAT1 MET1 etc etc but I only do 'water'. I cannot afford the money, let alone the time to keep up with Corgi.

And yet further off the point (sorry Mods), Napit seem unable to breach the monopoly that is Corgi yet I hear Corgi is in talks to enter the Electrical Registration scheme... (see below).

Before you all have a go, I know its all in the name of safety but which ever way you slice it... Monopoly is Monopoly and I never liked playing it!

'The CORGI Trust and the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) are apparently in talks about a possible merger.

The two organisations are amongst the most important and respected safety bodies in the gas and electricity sectors and a merger would create a powerful new voice spanning the two industries.

Consumers would benefit from the merger insofar as it would make the registration of reliable professional engineers more easily comprehensible. People working the trades would also benefit from greater clarity and coherence of safety advice and guidance.

Mary Benwell, chair of the CORGI Trust, said on Friday: "I am delighted about today's announcement and the possibilities ahead. Both of these charities already have a reputation for independence and impartiality.

"They are trusted by a wide range of stakeholders. Combining our skills and strengths gives us the potential to increase our capacity to improve customer safety on all matters relating to gas and electrical installations."

From what i hear when it is up for gabs next time the name Corgi will stay with however wins the contract as will most of the corgi inspectors So nothing will change however runs it

Being self employed is not 9 to 5, going to see people quoting and typing them up, I've just gone back to plumbing after 15 years, I was made redundant from my IT 50k a year job and back on the tools. However I have no project managers and people who's head is up there bottoms calling me all the time.

I'm charging £200 but I did do my time.

The future is manual labour..... The polish have it sussed!!!!

I'm Lovin it.

In that case, your friends intentions aren't unreasonable. It's very easy for new sole traders to undervalue themselves, and it quickly creates cash flow difficulties.

He'll soon know whether he's got the price right, because he'll get referrals or he won't, but most word-of-mouth business comes from being competent and having a good attitude, not from being cheap.

However, if his plumbing experience is limited to six months, he has a long way to go before being fully up to speed, and he might find that he has to give some time away here and there to keep each job to a reasonable price.

Good advice.

Sponsored Links
Back