plumber's fear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't a counselling forum but are there any other college based trainee plumbers out there who have little experience or real plumbing situations in people houses who feel anxious and start imagining flooding people's houses every time they are asked to do the simplest of jobs?

A woman asked me to give her a quote to put a washbasin in a toilet today. i declined the job because the kitchen wasn't near enough to run the wastepipe too, I have no experience of drilling holes into cast iron main soilpipes (we are only taught about plastic soilpipes at college) and to get to the soilpipe I would be at the top of a ladder a very long way from the nice safe ground (three storeys up).

Would anyone here readily accept such a job? Would you just drill into the cast iron main soilpipe and attach the plastic basin waste pipe to it (after drilling a hole in the wall? And roughly how much would you charge? She only wanted a cold water tap on the basin.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the real world! Yes, at college they show you how to do things as they are done today but you get outside and what do find? Houses that were built 100 years ago, damned inconsiderate isn't it. I'm not a plumber so I can't pass on any advice about cast iron pipe apart from recommending to replace the lot with plastic. However, a couple of points, first, take care when working three floors up. Did they teach you about that at college? There are some basic precautions you should take when working with ladders and you should stick to them if you're doing it for a living.

Last point, how much to charge, well you're the man and you're not a charity. You've got to work out what it will take you in time, add materials and off you go. Mind you there is another adage, that provided you've covered your costs you can then take a view as to "what the market can stand" i.e. charge what you like if you think that you will get away with it. I'll probably get a load of abuse back on that point but it's a fact. Mind you if you rip someone off, you'll never get another job from them so commonsense has to come into play at some point.

Good luck. :D

Have done this on many occasions especially where the aesthetics of the original cast soil pipe is retained, but mainly on internal stacks.

The cutting of a hole into cast iron should prove no problem providing you use a decent toothed hole saw on a fairly slow speed. Do not use hammer or percussion settings an apply a steady pressure. Cast iron is brittle by nature with exceptionally good compressive strength but lacking tensile strength. It is self lubricating due to the carbon content and needs no cutting oil during machining.

To connect, use a strap boss with nut and bolt fastening. Clean the area immediately surrounding the hole and boss fitting with a degreaser and apply a small amount of silicone. The strap boss can the be held via the nut and bolt. I tend to use silicone as opposed to a washer as you will probably find that the strap boss in not an engineered fit on the cast iron stack, the silicone will take up the small discrepency and the seal effective for plumbing purposes.

You do need to relate the "what the market can stand" to your standard of expertise though. Remember regarding the time part of the calculation that it will probably take you three times as long as an experianced person but you can not charge three times the price.

Cast iron pipe - go to local scrap youd and buy a bit. Then pratice to your hearts content. That is really the only way to gain confidence.

The replace it all in plastic is not a realistic solution in the majority of cases. Customer will not pay for unnecessary work particually if it is just because you lack knowledge to drill it. They aint all daft or mugs.

Real world? I had to laugh when I looked at one of the 'fast track' training companies website. Showed picture of trainee replacing bath taps. Bath was on a bench so the taps were at a comfortable height and not a wall or obstruction in sight.

Peter your post does however confirm the need to work with an 'old hand' to gain the 'real world' practical aspect of the job.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Peter,
You need to feel confident in yourself,don't let any job frighten you as there is no other ways of learning.I have made a few mistake but managed to overcome them.If you're not sure, then ask here.

Remember this " A person who never make mistake, never did anything "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back