plumbers, which pipe cutter?

Sponsored Links
The Ridgid will cut 2 5/8" which is 67mm last time I checked.

Rothenberger make good pipe cutters but the Ridgid is superior in this case as it features roller bearings.

Thanks Norcon. 2 5/8" is 66.7mm so hopefully Ridgid are being modest with their specs. Plus it has lifetime warranty

:p

Rigid have traditionally made the best pipe cutting and threading, and pipe snapping tools on the planet. However, like everyone else, they too are now under the Chinese spell.

Sponsored Links
Well its bought and in my possession now so too late. :LOL: But I'm sure (hope) I won't be disappointed. :D

Google wrote

Coming from a former employee of Emerson Electric(Ridgid and Ridge Tool co.) and currently an employee of T.T.I.(TechTronic Ind.) I can tell you all Ridgid benchtop,stationary, and hand held tools(drills,sanders,saws,etc...)are manufactred by T.T.I. with the exception of four tools which are made in Germany by Metabo for us. T.T.I. also does some private label for Sears Craftsman and a small amount of Mastercraft for Canadian Tire(Canada only) to their spec requests.Other than the four tools made in Germany all other tools are made in either Taiwan or China(except Ryobi routers -they are made in South Carolina,USA). But you must remember these tools are made in our own manufacturing plants not by a manufacterer who is making for every Tom,Dick,and Harry. The quality control is tighter and by producing in house we can keep costs down and in turn relay a cheaper cost to the consumer.Also, T.T.I.purchased all the tooling(moulds)from Emerson Electric when they bought that division from them so the tools are pretty much the same except for the colour change and a few improvements they made on certain tools(and we lowered the prices on most tools). Emerson Electric still makes the wet/dry vacuums and air filtration units and Ridge Tool(a div. of Emerson Electric) is still making all plumbing tools and devices. Hope I've answered your questions without too much detail.

When you put the China name to something it just means better quality in many cases.

In some cases Chinese power tool Mfr's produce high-end, expensive, professional power tools - but they are nowhere near the bench-mark quality that was set by the original American or German Mfr's.

Any professional trades person that was a user before China, and is still a user will have noticed the difference in quality - yes, design has advanced, but quality has dropped. It's a large claim but i've never heard different on site.

I've also talked to the people in the power tool repair shops and they were vehement that quality was way down.

The quote you use is pure spam by an employee. When you and i talk about manufacturing an item, and the big Chinese co's talk about manufacturing, then something v. different is being understood and discussed.

My understanding is that TTI ( a chinese co.) purchased all the Emerson Electric manufacturing plants in China.

Spam? No its an opinion and just as valid as yours.
We buy chinese made rolled steel sections to refurbish a German made product and I can vehemently vouch thats its more durable than the German made stuff. And cheaper.
We cut out the German made stuff and throw it in the scrap skip which is then shipped out to China.
I know that because I have to weld and drill it.

How many pipe cutters have you used with roller bearings fitted?
Are you suggesting Ridgid have compromised the tool in some other way in order to advance the design?
Low production costs and low overheads allow superior designs to be competitive in a world market. Not compromises in quality!

Sure they make plenty of carp but so do the Germans and Americans.

Here we go again, wriggle, wriggle to move the goalposts of whats on the page, and set off talking about whatever while leaving the actual subject of the argument behind.

Unfortunately, spam, as commonly understood in forums such as this, and valid opinions are not the same.

I notice that you mention "Low production costs and low overheads" and, although this information has no bearing on my comments above, i'll briefly reply that working children for 16 hrs a day and housing them in kennels will certainly do the costs and overheads trick.

In some cases Chinese power tool Mfr's produce high-end, expensive, professional power tools

Thats what I call moving the goal posts and wriggling.
The post is about a pipe cutter made to Ridgid specifications. :rolleyes:

A pipe cutter with roller bearings fitted made in China.
How many have you used with that spec made in America or Germany?

Would the answer to that be "None" by any chance? :LOL:

Oy, here we go..

Being made in China has nothing to do with the deterioration of quality we've all seen in high end products. That's everything to do with mass production. There is, I'm afraid, a tradeoff in quality for quantity, and there's a lot of quantity these days.

As for cheap Chinese tools vs expensive tools made in China: China can produce very high quality products, and they can produce complete crap. The same is true of the UK, America, Germany, and every other country. China just produces a lot of cheap crap for those who are't willing to pay for the good stuff.

Not so. I responded to your own quote, what else in that post of your's was there to respond to?
Read your own quote.

Monkeh,

"mass production" formerly called Fordism, was introduced by, among others, Henry Ford approx. 100 yrs ago.
"these days" ie contemporary mass production as such, has no bearing on the argument.

FWIW: Boeing 747's and AK 47's are both made by mass production and are the most successful items of their kind ever made.

High lighted in the quote is "The quality control is tighter".

And you dismiss the entire quote as spam. Does Dyson produce a more inferior product because he moved his manufacturing facility to the far east? Nope.

Just looking at that pipe cutter I can tell its a class act.
Roller bearings in a pipe cutter? That's a new one on me.
How many plumbers know pipe cutters are being manufactured with roller bearings? Not many. A pipe fitter might know.
A good pipe fitter will copper grease the pins weekly. Not needed with the Ridgid!
You just can't beat the Chinese in this case.

FWIW: Boeing 747's and AK 47's are both made by mass production and are the most successful items of their kind ever made.

Not worth a damn thing, seeing as AK 47s (which are not made any more, FYI, and haven't been in over 50 years) are drop dead basic items with no guarantee of quality, and 747s are 'mass produced' in that they've made about 1500 of them. In 45 years. Can't really compare that with consumer products.

Norcon,

Your spammer claims "quality control", he/she might also have claimed to have a sister in the Wrens, but we would have no way of verifying either claim.

And now i see that Dyson vacuum cleaners have been brought into the argument. I was wondering when that would happen?
I pause and look for a stronger term than wriggle, but, on second thoughts, think it best to let you remain in a wriggle.

You have the advantage of me when you mention that by "Just looking" at something you "can tell it's a class act". Such gifts must not be wasted, perhaps you could apply this ability to more significant things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back