plumbing a radiator up back to front and upside down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the guy in this vid was told by his TY followers that the intake of a radiator should go in the top and the out put should go out the bottom so the flow will go right though the radiator. As he is not pumping water but pumping though hot gases still the princeable is still the same, but surly if he was right then everyone would plumb up a radiator like this

Any one really know how the fins on a radiator really do work please?

Thanks

PS the vid

Sponsored Links
Top bottom opposite entry (tboe) is the most efficient.
Radiator manufacturers often rated there rads using this method.
So when connected bottom opposite entry (boe) .they will not give rated output.
Tho in practical terms it never matters as rads were normally oversized.

people dont pipe it up like this in domestic because it looks shyte
fins do work they increase the surface area of rad

Top bottom opposite entry (tboe) is the most efficient.
Radiator manufacturers often rated there rads using this method.
So when connected bottom opposite entry (boe) .they will not give rated output.
Tho in practical terms it never matters as rads were normally oversized.
So what you are saying is that this is the most efficent way to plumb up a radiator but no need to do so as the radiator heat exchange is big enough to absorb the heat plumbed up not so good way round

Sponsored Links
people dont pipe it up like this in domestic because it looks shyte
fins do work they increase the surface area of rad
So what if I had 2 rads plumbed up the domestic way then? would that count for one rad plumbed up the proper way or something?

A lot of LA properties are piped TBOE these days due to disable access legislation, it makes the TRV more accessible.

It is meant to be more efficient as the water doesn't have to rise first as if it was piped BOE but TBH I don't think the difference in efficiency would be worth bothering about. Cant see how the heat output would much, if any, different though TBH.

Last time I did the trip round stelrad factory seem to remember they quoted 2 to 3.5 % efficiency difference between tboe & boe (depending on rad type)
Other thing they did say is tboe is far less sensitive to flow rate changes, maybe something to think about with modern circulators.

A lot of LA properties are piped TBOE these days due to disable access legislation, it makes the TRV more accessible.

It is meant to be more efficient as the water doesn't have to rise first as if it was piped BOE but TBH I don't think the difference in efficiency would be worth bothering about. Cant see how the heat output would much, if any, different though TBH.
LA properties?
TBOE?
TRV?
BOE?
TBH?

If I wanted a better gravity feed system and my water tank was high up the building then I guess plumbing it up from top to bottom would save on the old electric

im sure you must know what you mean
Sorry I was very drunk last night to say the least!
I mean 2 rads plumbed together or even a massive rad as you would normally do, would do the same job as man in video has done with one on the OP. But I guess I now draw in the argument that I last posted which is
If I wanted a better gravity feed system and my water tank was high up the building then I guess plumbing it up from top to bottom would save on the old electric
More rad or bigger rad would put up more resistance and therefore more electric to pump the water though. But I dont know how this would work on an exhaust system where what would happen by putting up resistance on the exhaust pipe will stall the engine or not

Single pipe and gravity fed systems are usually piped TBOE, not the best look in domestic installations.
I did not think pure gravity feed systems where practical on house hold pluming due to the resistance put up by the old siphon effect. But if it is singular piped system for each radiator to heater/ boiler on there own circuits then can it work?

Last edited:
LA properties?
TBOE?
TRV?
BOE?
TBH?
Local Authority - council

Top Bottom, Opposite End - one pipe in the top, one in the bottom, opposite sides of the rad. Can also get Same End rads for TBSE etc

Thermostatic Radiator Valve - the turny knob to change the room temperature, shuts the flow down as the room warms up. Also get Thermostatic Mixing Valves in eg Under Floor Heating systems, that blend a warm and cold flow to achieve a desired outflow temp

Bottom, Opposite entry - inlet and outlet at the bottom

To Be Honest - expression that this is the stater's honest belief or opinion, as opposed to the regular fibbing they do the rest of the time ;)

Local Authority - council

Top Bottom, Opposite End - one pipe in the top, one in the bottom, opposite sides of the rad. Can also get Same End rads for TBSE etc

Thermostatic Radiator Valve - the turny knob to change the room temperature, shuts the flow down as the room warms up. Also get Thermostatic Mixing Valves in eg Under Floor Heating systems, that blend a warm and cold flow to achieve a desired outflow temp

Bottom, Opposite entry - inlet and outlet at the bottom

To Be Honest - expression that this is the stater's honest belief or opinion, as opposed to the regular fibbing they do the rest of the time ;)
Thanks!

So any ideas on running a pure gravity system on the video shown in the OP?

The experiment in the video is using hot exhaust gases so the hot expanded gas is being driven through the rad.

A CH system using hot water could only work using convection with gravity where the hot water would be heated at the bottom of the system, the hot water rises, enters the heat emitters and as the heat is transferred out into the air the cooler water then falls under gravity setting up a convection/gravity circulation. It's how the original centrally heated system used to work. Don't think it specifically requires the water to enter the rad at the top TBH, though that's only supposition. In fact single pipe systems use exactly that principle to work correctly (albeit the main flow would be pumped), where the hot water uses convection to enter the rad create the flow and then convection/gravity to exit (and some help from the flow in the main pipe), that and some cleaver and very specific piping up usually with large main pipework and rads to help modulate the heat supply and some very exact balancing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back