plumbing advice for connecting WC pan to 3.5" soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone

I am renovating a bathroom and today I made an attempt to remove the WC pan to prepare the wall for plastering. after unwrapping a greased rag around the joint I discovered that the collar of the cast iron soil pipe is broken. one side of it has broken off and was held in place by that rag.

now I am quite puzzled what to do. the push-fit connector that I bought in a shop is AFAIK for 110mm PVC waste pipes. it is certainly too small for that collar. the outside diameter of the pipe is around 101mm (including paint) and currently I have no way of measuring the internal diameter because I don't want the family to be left without a toiled for too long. if I start dismantling the joint completely, it will start leaking badly and I don't have anything fix the joint just yet.

I looked at the soil pipe from the outside of the house and I think I can see '3 1/2"' written on it, although it is a bit difficult since it is covered in many layers of paint. I certainly don't see '4"' there.

AFAIU, the only way I can go now is to remove the remainder of the collar, find a suitable push-fit connector and use it to connect the pan. unfortunately, after some googling I could not find any suitable for 3.5" cast iron soil pipes, all seem to be designed for 4".

I need to temporarily remove the existing old WC pan, plaster the wall, put it back and when the floor/walls are ready, I can finally fit the new pan. I might need to offset the new pan to the right a little bit as well.

AFAICS, this soil pipe cannot be 4", since it's outside diameter should be a bit larger (~110mm?).

I would be very thankful for any input, preferably with links/stock numbers, since I am a bit new to plumbing, especially to UK plumbing.:cool: sorry if I am not using proper British terms for things. are these collars on cast iron pipes still used when connecting WC pans?

thanks very much in advance.

/max

Sponsored Links
grrinc said:
Multikwik do a pan connector for this..

grrinc, thanks for your reply. which one do you think is suitable for 3.5"? there is just one for cast iron (MKS7), and it doesn't specify the diameter. 8(

/max

Yup. The MKS7. The pdf file on that site gives an idea of what pipe sizes it goes into. The MKS7 goes into an ID of 88mm to 92mm, about 3 and half inches.

Also, get ready for a few unpleasant 'deposits'. You will most likely need to hack away at an additional lining of scale combined with all sorts of other unsavoury additions. It can be rock hard too, but it needs to go to ensure a tight fit of the pan connector.

Sponsored Links
grrinc said:
Yup. The MKS7. The pdf file on that site gives an idea of what pipe sizes it goes into. The MKS7 goes into an ID of 88mm to 92mm, about 3 and half inches.

thanks! it looks like I am going to need a bit more length there. and if I use a piece of standard PVC piping, then I need MKS3 to go into the cast iron pipe?

Nooo . The way to do it is to use the trimmable extension which has a 3.5" compatible male end on it, then a 4" type connector on the pan, into the trimmed end of the extn.

ChrisR said:
Nooo . The way to do it is to use the trimmable extension which has a 3.5" compatible male end on it, then a 4" type connector on the pan, into the trimmed end of the extn.

so it is basically two pieces, one is the extension bit, converting from 3.5" ( spigot, rubber fins) to 4" plain pipe, and the other is the standard 4"/110mm pipe-pan connector?

sorry if I am being a bit thick.:cool:

/max

sorry to hijack the thread but i thought it better than starting a new one... i'm in the same situation. i need to connect a new WC to an iron (i thinik) soil pipe with an internal diammeter of about 3.5" i can't find any extension pieces of this size so shall i just use an mks7 pan connector, then a normal 4" extension piece and finally a 4"pan connector to the WC? I can't think of any other way of making up the gap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back