Plumbing and heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my tools stolen again, the van was parked on the front driveway. This is not the first time. Has any body got any ideas on how to stop these, Bstrds

Sponsored Links
If nobody ever bought second hand tools then there would be no need for the theiving b'''s to nick them.

That wont happen though :(

put your tools in a couple of tesco bags, and put them in your house overnight. I do.

Actually thats a lie. Its Morrisons bags.

im really tempted to booby trap a drill box so when its opened it smothers them the in dye for six months

Sponsored Links
If people are stealing tools out of your van you need to slow them down.

A Van Vault is about £140 from Screwfix. Bolt it through metal plates in the floor.

Fit an alarm to the van. We buy new vans, keep them 3 yrs and always specify them with no glass in the rear doors and a full height steel factory bulkhead behind the front seats.

If you really want to be clever, you can get a smoke bomb for the back, so they can't find anything quickly when the doors open.

It is probably the same people coming back each time. You just need to make it hard so they pick someone elses van, hopefully not one of ours :cry:

Myself and four others used to run one of the largest mobile discotheques in the South East (still going actually under new ownership - www.acemate.co.uk). Getting equipment stolen or the whole van jacked was a real problem.

So we built a 2m high steel fence about 3" longer than the van, made from RSJs and angle, with a hinged steel gate. This was clad on the outside in close board fencing. The clad gate looked innocuous from the outside but had a recessed insurance grade padlock on a strengthened and boxed hasp and staple. The hinges were hardened and had recessed welded nuts to prevent lifting off.

Just don't lose the keys :LOL:

a friend who lost three laptops this way said theaves have a way of detecting battery equipment in your vehicle even when out of sight.

Since then I have removed all battery tools from the van overnight.

I have a Van Vault for any good stuff. I also have an alarm on the back door. I also take my small tool bag of favourite stuff inside every night.

i have 3 infared cameras over my vehicles alday/night and driveway alarmed to house alarm.
even the cats won't enter.

I have just fitted up a halogen light that has a digital camera that takes single shot images and a ten minutes of film every time its triggered. I can bring the images up on the computer and save them and play them back
I no these kids are local i have seen them before nicking me copper off the roof. I just want their image on my computer.

trouble is if you want to prosecute you'll need the rest to go with it time & date on the video

BE CAREFUL! andytheplumber you mentioned two words kids and camera and computer.well three, our local plod told me that if anyone complained about my camera pointing to my van that was out side, and said that their children were being filmed they would have to investigate. no I am not joking.

Once left my van loaded after a real grueler of a call out been out all day working, got called out came home thought oh ill empty it in the morning.
£3000 tools gone. its like they know. so i fully sympathize with you.

Take your tools in your house you lazy ****.
Would have thought you would have learnt your lesson last time.
Did plod not tell you that your more likely to get done again as they know how to get in and know what's going to be in there?

No ladder racks, pipe tubes, signs, logos or stickers, just a boring plane van. Toerags dont have a clue whats on board. No rear windows and full bulkhead + quality alarm.

I always take my tools in. Every now and then i forget. This time i forgot. Ill bear in mind the complaint bit ill have to deal with that if it happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back