plumbing apprenticeship

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I finished college last year and gained my c&g level 2 in plumbing. I would now like to turn this into a full nvq but need to be out on site doing work. Im hard working with my own car and some tools. I have been working for free so now the government are offering a grant of £1000 for anyone who can offer me at least 16 hours a week, (also train to gain could give another £1500 if i train through them). If anyone in the midlands could offer me anything or know someone else who might, i would be so thankful and will not let you down, im 23 and if you would like to know anything else please get in touch.

thanks for your time guys

Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi

I completed my C&G this year and have started working for myself part time to build up the experience. Doing general work at the moment, taps, plumbing in appliances, installing kitchens/bathrooms etc. I've tried looking for an apprentiship but theres very little work at the moment and a lot of big companies are laying people off.

At the college i went to, we have students offering to work for free and even then there was nobody to take them on as the work just isnt about at the moment.

Its touch times at the moment but hang in there. Keep doing whatever jobs you can find to continue adding to your experience. In time i'm sure you'll find an apprentiship.

If you dont mind me asking, what college did you study at?

Hi naz

I went to Wolverhampton/bilston college. They are great when they want to get you to sign up but as soon as you have passed your on your own, none of the help finding work they said you would get.

Fair play to you for working for yourself, im just doing jobs for friends and family ant the moment. Dont feel confident enough to go into some random house on my own just yet.

I have also tried offering to work for free with no joy, its just dead out there at the moment.

There is a lot of difference between working for free and employing and paying an apprentice for an employer. Many people in this industry work on their own and having a second person requires some changes. For example I work until the job is completed even if thats 10 pm. Apprentices expect to finish at 5 pm!

Both need an extention to the insurance which costs about £350 per annum.

I see so many abusive people posting on these forums that when anyone asks about training, my first thought is why should I bother putting myself out training anyone who potentially turns into an abusive lout.

Some trainees think that they can undercut your rates and do jobs directly for your customers!

Most of my trainees have been mature with a degree in something although often not in a directly related subject.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i totally understand and respect what you are saying, i can only talk for myself though and not the guys who give us a good name.

I would have no problem working until midnight if it came to getting the job done, im the sort of person who gets satisfaction from getting a job done. Im also 23 and dont want to be wasting any more of my life doing odd jobs. I want to work towards a career and know that means putting the work in. That said its just kind of hard to show that when you cant get the chance.

Paul

Good Luck M8...how are you at drainage ? Where there`s muck there`s brass. There will always be blockages. Forget about Gas , they`re a bunch of Prima Donnas :LOL:

to mr wolves

with your attitude, IMHO, you WILL get where you want to go.

keep plugging away, if needs be ,chap on bussines`s doors,post on other forums,whatever it takes.

best of luck fella

Im just newly qualified nvq 2,3.

on 30 days notice with large national company.

Im not too worried as intend going out my own maybe sooner lol.

al

I see so many abusive people posting on these forums that when anyone asks about training, my first thought is why should I bother putting myself out training anyone who potentially turns into an abusive lout.

Tony

In case anyone thought that I was making that up, I had an abusive email today, perhaps it was sent just to prove the point?

Subject: Knob Head

You are of great knowledge....of that I have no doubt.However when it
come to manners you have NONE.Your tone is very abrubt and that leads
me towards thinking you are not at peace with yourself.The respect ends
there MATE.....
NO MATTER WHAT YOU KNOW!!
Im a true new comer to the GAME and gonna one day SURPASS YOU.
ps -my spelling is ****,,,,,,BEFORE YOU RIP THAT.

Why would anyone seriously involved with the trade ever want to help to train people like that?

Tony

Why would anyone seriously involved with the trade ever want to help to train people like that?

I`d give him a start, sounds like a good judge of character, polite, if a little direct. :D :D

We all need to become @ peace with ourselves....OHHHHMMMM

And i thought Tony was your name.

Glasgowgas you just cant beat the term fannybaws always makes me laugh when you hear it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back