qualifications regarding working as a self empolyed plumber

my rule of thumb is if you dont get a sqeezy feeling about any job offered to you but you fell more like "oh no not another one sheesh how boring" the go self employed

:)

Sponsored Links
But you need to be "competant" to call yourself a plumber just like you dont need any particular qualification to do electrical work just to be be "competant". I just want to learn as much as i can and i feel like im doing that at college. My first thought was that i wanted to get onto the gas side as i have been fitting kitchens for over 10 years and was fed up with paying £100 to £150 for someone to connect a hob but now im really enjoying the wet side of things and im excited about the plumbing and heating side of it all and can see my future there

im excited about the plumbing and heating side of it

Don't worry it'll soon fade out.
smiley3470.gif

:LOL: :LOL: there is **** all glam about plumbing mate!! Id stick on the kitchens to be honest there are to many dick head plumbers about.. ;)

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: there is **** all glam about plumbing mate!! Id stick on the kitchens to be honest there are to many d*****d plumbers about.. ;)
it`s like Glam Rock - it was big in the 70`s .....now it`s gary glitter :evil: you must have some carpentry type skills and maybe tiling etc. from kitchens - use them and build bespoke stuff for people . Forget Plumbing - I have , and I was well into in - in `73 ;)

the only one you'll need to do at college is your lead work.

Are they still teaching this as plumbing? Seems a bit out of date to me. All you need is to be able to do a slate.

How many plumbers do you see doing a step flashing on a chimney? Or wielding a setting-in stick? I just know someone's going to prove me wrong now. :rolleyes: ;)

They were still doing it on Gas Installation & Maintenence NVQ2 5 years ago, according to a mate who had an apprentice on the course. God knows why. I did leadwork on the same course, but that was 14 odd years ago now - yet never done any real leadwork in my life.

Mr. W.

yes you can be self employed long as you have been for 5+ yrs and then you can do your nvq 2.
Never knew there were legal requirements to work as a plumber other than paying tax.
there isn't.
I'm lost about the 5 yr minimum in that case. Why the 5yr, if there are not requirements? :confused:

as you know you can work as a plumber with no nvq.

you can do the whole 6129, nvq2 at college.

but if you want to do nvq2, skipping 6129, studying in your own time
then just book your exams and do your assessments onsite 3 visits i think of your choice you can but only if you can prove you have been working in plumbing 5 yrs+ thats why you skip 6129

and as you know you'll pick up more knowledge and skill in 5 yrs than they can at college.

only one you do at college is your leadwork.

...and as you know you'll pick up more knowledge and skill in 5 yrs than they can at college.
And that is very much erring on the side of caution; one year in the real world under good guidance will probably teach you more than the whole college course.
Thanks for explaining, I thought you meant there was some new reg that said 5 years experience before going on your own. Wouldn't surprise me if the new "alternative acs" would be followed by some rule like that to ensure cheap labour for the guys with connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back